viii. a new friend

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻
❝ 𝒂 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

PANTS AND DESPERATE GULPS OF AIR escape Vera's lips as pain and sudden surprise fill her features

PANTS AND DESPERATE GULPS OF AIR escape Vera's lips as pain and sudden surprise fill her features. In one brisk moment, she finds herself on the cold, hard floor of Rivendell's training grounds with a shocked gasp. Blinking momentarily to catch her vision after being knocked down quite rudely, she can frankly make out the image of Corin looking down at her with a smirk. Mustering a glare, she shoots up quickly, ignoring the hand Corin stretches out for her, and makes her way to the small area in which the water and resting supplies are kept.

"You will fail if you let your guard down like that, Vera," Corin warns, following suit after her and practically inhaling the water. Not many others were training around them, as most of the elves were celebrating in the main center.

"I know what I did wrong, Corin."

The grumble and reluctance in her tone suggests that she is still upset about Corin's previous outburst for she doesn't release her spiteful gaze. Vera is rather talented in holding grudges and it seems that this one really hit her. "Good. Then I'm sure you'll be able to knock me down this time."

Readying themselves, they're unaware of the peering eyes of a man, observing Vera's strategic thinking and Corin's fast blows. He has been studying them for the past hour, watching in interest at the show before him. He wasn't very much knowledgeable about Vera and her past affairs but by the anger in her eyes, he could only guess that Corin did something to anger the Princess.

Aragorn scans the pair, keeping his inquisitive eyes on Vera's quick form. It truly does amaze him how someone so petite and slim as Vera could be so deadly in a fight. Her eyes could predict things before Corin even thought about doing it, earning herself the appropriate defense — or offense in moments — upping her opponent in minutes. Corin is too prideful and too close-minded to notice Vera's quick thinking.

It impresses the Ranger to see a woman use her mind without any sense of panic during a brawl. But he wonders if it's only because she's familiar with the man she fights.

While Vera is quick on her feet and calculating, Corin is stronger and more experienced than the girl. War holds no promises and sometimes, strategic thinking can cost you everything. To survive, you have to act instead of think.

Stepping out of the shadows, Aragorn watches yet again as Corin traps Vera in his arms victoriously. Frustration builds on his features as he lets Vera breathe from the chokehold. "You will lose your head, Vera, damn it! Focus. Think. Fight. Everyone depends on it!"