xxxv. determind souls

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀 𝑭𝑰𝑽𝑬
❝ 𝒅𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

MARELLA HAD ONCE TOLD A STORY to her children during their bedtime routine, about a mermaid princess, much like Vera, who longed to journey to the land above, but was unable to do so under her father's — the king — strict laws

MARELLA HAD ONCE TOLD A STORY to her children during their bedtime routine, about a mermaid princess, much like Vera, who longed to journey to the land above, but was unable to do so under her father's — the king — strict laws. However, that never stopped the adventurous princess, so she wanders to the sea's exterior and rescues a handsome prince, who she falls in love with instantly, risking her life for him.

Vera never realized the similarities between her and the little mermaid. Starting with their appearances, Vera's features are darker than those of the made-up mermaid princess with her brunette locks and her fair skin. Their eyes are polar opposites; the mermaid princess having sky blue eyes and Vera having a flickering change from her forest-green to her hazel brown, occasionally shifting to a demonic black when angered. Their tails differ in shades, Vera with a silver-blue and the character with a teal-green.

However, Vera did pick up on meaningless similarities between them as she grew up; their titles as 'mermaid princess' and 'heir to the throne' as well as their kingdom and the name it shares. Marella had told Vera that the story about The Little Mermaid isn't completely fictional, pertaining to their ancestor, Aeriel. Marella did note that many children in their castle were named after the first Queen of Atlantis and the infamous, unworldly, character, to which Vera responded distastefully.

Abolishing the stubborn thought in Marella's mind that her daughter resembled their ancestor and a book character, Vera learned to favor the story above all the other bedtime tales her mother would recite at night, much to Neptune's distaste — although he did acquire a fondness over a historic myth about vampires and hotels — and kept it in her mind during her darkest time. However, in truth, Vera did admittedly forget about the fictional story chronicled during her younger years.

Up until a few days ago, that is.

Grudgingly, Vera did take to searching her memories in an effort to console her emotional state of mind, forcibly pushing past her darker times as of late and launching deeper to find something that she can hold onto and never let go; something that had come to past, something that had already happened, something that couldn't be taken away from her like everything else in her life. So, the brunette mermaid latched onto the first thing that popped in her head during her search for a fantasy, ironically clinging onto the tales of The Little Mermaid and her stubborn quest.

Recently, she had been filling her mind with thoughts in connection to the fictional character, and has come to the realization that they are more alike than she initially thought. As a child, Vera easily believed everything that was given to her obediently, no matter her own thoughts. She was naive and innocent but very close-minded. Whatever her mother said, goes. So, when Marella told her that the human world was a cruel and devastating place, she automatically believed her. It wasn't until her teenage years in which she explored more that she met a kind, old man among the surface and he showed her a different meaning to their world.