lxvii. victory...or not?

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑰𝑿𝑻𝒀 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵
❝ 𝒗𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚...𝒐𝒓 𝒏𝒐𝒕? ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE BATTLE CONTINUED FOR HOURS TILL the sounds of birds chirping in early dawn appears

THE BATTLE CONTINUED FOR HOURS TILL the sounds of birds chirping in early dawn appears. As the deep, dark blanket of the night sky slowly shifts into a lighter, pale-black welkin. The clouds blocking the moon at the start of their battle had disappeared with the exodus of the rain. All that remains at the moment is a mere, empty void of one, single color; a contrasting black to a dark-blue. Only those with the keenest eyes could catch the difference in the color of the empyrean, otherwise, the simple eyes of Men would not bother with the fact. Those with the fortune of having clearer eyes did not notice the development either, mainly because they are too preoccupied with the defenses of the battlement and the bloodshed of battle to care for the night sky. In fact, there is only one person in the entire battlefield of Helm's Deep that managed to notice the difference in the sky. 

The mermaid Queen stands in the middle of the chaos, her eyes fixated blankly on the dead body of her previous opponent as his words echo hauntingly inside her mind. He had used his last, dying breath to tell her one line...one line that shouldn't have affected her as much as it did but it did...horribly, in fact. Her mind racks ravenously with the thoughts banging at the sides of her head repeatedly, his words never leaving her mind as she attempts to discover the meaning behind it and where it originates from. Vera doubts that the Uruk himself thought of something like that or was working on his own desire to execute her...no, there is something else afoot. A hidden plot, a different agenda. He was ordered to kill her especially, perhaps only being placed in the army for his goal to kill her. Vera internally groans. It was not a good time to let her thoughts envelop around this. 

'The game has just begun'.

What is that supposed to mean?

Vera lets everything else around her fade away, evaporating into blurred voices and ambiguous movements which her own senses cannot comprehend or register in her frazzled mind. She is somewhat aware that the battle around her is ongoing and the outer walls, where most of the people of Rohan attempt to defend, begin to crumble under the assault of the Uruk-hai army. Her own people lie on the ground, dead or greatly injured to the edge of falling into a deep abyss of darkness whilst half of her army stands strong at their stationed position to aid the endurance of Rohan. The horrid stench of death and blood lingers under her nose, engraving a reminder in her distant mind that she is still in the heat of battle and is, quite literally, in the middle of it. 

But it did nothing to bring her back from the rummaging in her mind. 

Meanwhile, Corin battles valiantly against the Uruk-hai, standing a few paces away from his dazed Queen as he desperately attempted to protect her from the battalion entering the Keep. Vera, in her trance, remains unaware of the fact that her friend is defending her while she is vulnerable nor is she aware of the invading Uruk-hai surrounding her current location...no, all she could focus on was the dead body of her attacker and his nagging, last words. Corin had been doing his best to guard the defense battlements, battling against the Uruk-hai coming forth and slipping past the front-liners when he heard a familiar cry ringing from the center of the courtyard. He had abandoned his station immediately, worry surging through his system as he hurries past the defenders to reach his friend and his Queen, passing by a worried elf as he struggles to pull the rope, nearly letting it go completely after hearing his beloved's pained cry.