Town Girl

Nina's POV.

Another day.

Another day pretending to be okay for my mother's sake.

My name is Nina, and I lost my father when I was thirteen. He and I had the greatest relationship a father and daughter could have, he was always there for me- through everything.

He was my Prince Charming, my best friend.

But it all changed that night.

September ninth, Canton bridge lake.

I still wonder, what if I hadn't called my dad to pick me up that day? Maybe he would still be here. Is it my fault he's dead?

"I just can't believe how Sara didn't notice Rebecca's weird behavior earlier, it would have saved her from all the killing part." I say and dad chuckled beside me.

I was just telling him about the movie mt friends and I finished watching: The Roommate. It was a great movie, but it was a little bit scary for me.

"Oh, Nina." Dad chuckled. "It's a movie, it's supposed to have drama and some sort of action." He says with a smile.

"I'm just saying. I mean, all the red flags were there, right in front of Sara, but she still chose to ignore them." I say rolling my eyes playfully.

My dad just laughed which made me smile. I love talking to my dad about everything, no matter what it is about.

"Come on," he says, walking across the road. I follow behind him, but not before I pick up my phone that had just fallen from my pocket.

"What are you doing, Nina?" I heard my father ask from the other sidewalk of the bridge.

"Coming! I dropped my phone." I said while walking across the road.

Suddenly, a white car is coming its way to me.

I froze on spot and dropped my phone.

It was all too quick.

I felt someone push me onto the sidewalk, a loud thud echoed through the lonely night.

Then I saw him. My dad is on top of the car.

"No!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"Help! Somebody help me!" I yelled in hope that someone would hear me.

"Please, daddy, don't go." I said in between sobs.

No response.

I felt like my entire world is crashing down.

I cried, tears pouring down controllably. "Please, dad! Don't leave me!"

No response.

I grabbed my phone and dialed 911. At the second ring, they picked up. "911 what's your emergency?" The operator asked.

"I need an ambulance please! Canton lake bridge." I say screaming in panic and fear.

"Okay, honey, calm down. What happened?"

"My dad just got hit by a car and he isn't moving, please send someone to help!"

"Ambulances and polices are on their way-" I hang up.

"Please, daddy! Please, don't leave me! Not yet, please!" 

Then it hit me. My dad is dead and he isn't coming back.

My dad was dead.

Ambulances and cop's sirens ringed around the bridge.

I'm never seeing my dad again.

I shake that awful memory from my head and decided to take a deep breath to calm down. I looked up from my book to see Jacob and his friends bullying some guy. It looks like the guy is new, I haven't seen him in town before.

Then again, what would I know about this town? I only moved into Watford four months after my father's death.

"Come on, let's leave newbie alone for now." Jacob said while he and his minions left the park.

Taking my eyes away from those asshole, I saw that the new guy was still on the ground. Why isn't he standing up? I grabbed my bag and put it over my shoulder, my book was in my hand.

I watched as Jacob and his friends were getting into his car while I was making my way toward the guy. Then, I did something mildly stupid; I offered him my hand so he can get up.

Surprisingly he took it. I thought he wouldn't, I don't know why I thought like that, perhaps because it would be embarrassing for him to accept help from a girl he doesn't know?

"Thanks," he said as he got up and adjusted his clothing. I nodded and took a look at how handsome he is.

He's much taller standing up I thought he would be around 5'9 or something but he's much taller. Maybe 6'3, with hazel eyes and his almost black hair.

He is truly handsome, but stupid for messing with Jacob.

"You're new here." I stated, my tone of voice was not surprised.

He let out a sigh and nodded. "That obvious, huh?" he mumbles, giving me a small smile-which I don't return. 

"It is when you mess with Jacob." I explain and he nods.

Knowing there is nothing else to say, I sigh and start to walk away. There is no need for me to start a conversation with someone who I will most likely not see again. Or probably?

"I'll see you around then," I turn around and frown, he only gives me a small smile.

I usually don't help the people Jacob makes fun of, now why did I?