Bonding

"This is really good," I said covering my mouth with my palm, trying to not spill my sushi out.

Dom texted me ten minutes before class ended and asked if I wanted to go out for lunch since well, we're technically back together.

At first I didn't know what to say because I figured that Chase might come looking for me during lunch, but then I realized that I don't owe him an explanation to what I'm doing, so I accepted.

"Mhm, especially these egg rolls, they are freaking amazing." Dom says dramatically.

This is the kind of quality time I would have loved to spend with him as his girlfriend back then, but I can't help feeling guilty now.

I accepted to be his girlfriend again without thinking about the feelings in the relationship. Yes, I love Dom. I always will, but that love isn't the kind of love a couple would have.

I think that knowing we were once best friends before we became anything is making it difficult. Not only are my feelings all over the place, but I also feel bad for Dom. He deserves to know how I feel and he doesn't deserve a heartbreak.

My love for him is the type of affection you feel towards a best friend. That is all I feel for him now, friendly love.

I remember back then we used to go on friend dates every Friday after school, mainly him and his sister Cassie, and me.

Dom used to take us to the local pizzeria in our old town, he'd buy a big enough pizza for the three of us. We would eat it with smiles, jokes, and laughs.

This is exactly what those times are reminding me of.

"So, tell me, how has everything been lately? How's your Mom?"

I'm not sure what he means,  if he's asking how my mother is feeling without my dad or how is she functioning without him. I shrug, placing my drink down.

I playfully roll my eyes. "She's always scolding me, and well, she remarried."

I said that without thinking, shit.

The last thing I wanted right now was to ruin our moment talking about my years here, they aren't bad but without him, they are.

Dom's eyes widen and I think his food got stuck on his throat since he started coughing, hitting his chest until he eventually calmed down. I laugh at his reaction while he drinks from his beverage, he looks up at me with wide eyes. He's probably mad that I didn't mention it earlier but hey, I am wasting my time with him talking about future goals and everything so he can't blame me.

"Your mom? As in the Lucy Morgan?" He asked,  still not believing what I said.

I nod with a smile on my face.

"Yup, the only thing is that she isn't a Morgan anymore, she's Lucy Smith," I said. "She got married about two and a half years. That's why I live in that big house. Luca- Mom's... you know, he has a kid around my age, his name is Jacob."

I know that what I'm saying right now it's intriguing Dom since his attention is on me at the moment. I can tell he wants to hear more, and I wouldn't mind telling him but I don't want to remember some unpleasant memories.

For Dom, I'm an open book. Ever since I was younger, he knew when I was sad or when I was upset by someone. Other than my dad, Dom treated me like no other and I didn't care about that until I turned fourteen, when I started realizing that I had feelings for him, for my best friend brother.

Dom nodded with a smirk. "You got a stepbrother, huh? How is he? Douche or-"

"No, he's none of that," I laugh, he's still as overprotective as when we were younger.