Always

I can't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed myself with Chase. I haven't had such a good day in a long time ago, but with him it's different. He can go on and talk about whatever and I'll pretend not to listen, but I'm there.

I kinda like that, it's a nice change. Time seems to pass by quickly when I'm with him.

I sigh placing my book aside from me, I can't focus on the goddamn story.

A loud noise from downstairs brings me from my day dreaming. I quickly sit up, my heart racing.

Did someone break in?

I stand up and take a pocketknife from my nightstand, Jacob left this here the other day. I walk slowly, trying not to make too much sound.

I grab the doorknob and twisted, another thud came from the other side of the door. Just as I open the door, someone falls. I gasp out loud and take a closer look. 

Jacob.

I sighed in relief, but rolled my eyes in annoyance at the fact that he almost gave me a heart attack. I throw the knife on my bed and kneeled to try and help him up.

Keyword: try.

"Jacob, sit up for god's sake!" I groaned.

"Shhh, no need to be so-" He let out a small hiccup. "Loud."

I scoffed. "You're drunk."

I grab his arm and wrap it around my shoulder, making his body support against mine. He starts to laugh and starts playing with a handful of my hair.

"Jacob quit it!" I hissed.

He laughs again while I start directing him to his room. I hear him sigh and stoping in front of the staircase.

"Ah, Nina, this is why you're my favorite." Jacob slurred, making a lot of kissing noises while his face was in my hair.

"Ugh, stop! What the fuck did you drink?" I asked annoyed.

"Are you saying I can't be happy without-" He hiccuped again. "Drinking?"

"I'm saying that you don't act like this, what the hell happened?" I grunted since his whole weight was on me.

"Same old bullshit," he yawned.

We reach his room and I kick the door open, walking over to his bed, and throwing him on it. I hear him groan and I start to take off his jacket.

"I want to leave," I hear Jacob say.

"What?" I struggled with his clothing.

"I said, I want to leave."

"Leave where?" I asked taking off his shoes

"Leave, just... I don't know, anywhere." He said as I walked to his closet looking for blankets.

"Let me guess, another fight with Stella?" I asked, turning around and extending the blankets as he nods.

Stella is his mother, they don't have the best relationship since Luca divorced her. So whenever they have a good talk, an argument always comes between them. His mother has threatened to take Jacob away from Luca multiple times, which is why they mainly have problems. Jacob gets upset by that sometimes.

He can act all 'Big guy' with other people at school, but I know him. On the inside he is sensitive, and he doesn't know how to control his rage. In his mind, his only remedy is alcohol.

"Jacob, I understand that having issues with your parents can be stressful, but that doesn't mean you can just go out and get drunk wasting all of your father's money like that. It doesn't work that way. You know I'm here for you." I whisper.

He opens his eyes and gives me a slight smile.

"I know."

I smile at him and I put the blanket over him making him comfortable.

"Why does my life has to be like this?" He mumbles.

I sighed sitting in the corner of his bed. "We'll talk tomorrow," I mumble back

I stand up making my way out grabbing the doorknob I stop when I hear Jacob speak.

"Nina?"

"Yes?"

He stays quiet for a brief second before saying;

"Thank you."

I chuckle and open the door stepping out.

"Always," I whisper to myself.