Chapter 26

Danielle POV

"Danielle you need to get her to eat something, get her outside for some fresh air," Stefania said over FaceTime.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.

I was sat in the kitchen, Amalia in bed, still in the spare room which had become her bedroom.

The government had announced a national period of lockdown, allowing us to only see the people who lived in the same house and go out for essential items only.

Stefania and I had reluctantly agreed to quarantine separately for now, not wanting that intense pressure on our new relationship.

We were hoping it wouldn't be for long and she  could always move to quarantine with us at a later date.

So for now we were down to FaceTime. As much as I hated it, I knew it was keeping us and others safe.

Amalia didn't seem to be happy with the idea of being quarantined. She hasn't said it, but I had a suspicion she didn't like feeling trapped.

It had only been four days since she moved in here, her arm still tender and the emotions still very raw for her.

She'd closed off completely, the shock wearing off and reality of what happened setting in. She was hardly sleeping, despite spending most of the day in bed. I was incredibly glad that we weren't actually in work and on set. I don't think she would've been able to cope.

"I know but I'm trying to give her space, I don't want to push her away," I told Stefania.

"You also need to make sure she's looking after herself Danielle, and if she's not, it's you who needs to take control," she replied.

"I know, I'll make us both breakfast now and take it into her," I said decisively.

"I'll call you later bellina," Stefania smiled.

"Bye my love," I said, blowing a kiss and hanging up.

I got up from the chair and quickly made breakfast for Amalia and I. Balancing the tray on one arm, I gently tapped on her bedroom door.

"Mali?" I said softly, pushing it open slightly.

I watched her rollover in bed to face me, tear track stains down her cheeks and dark circles under her eyes.

"Good morning sunshine, I've brought breakfast. I thought we could both have it in bed this morning," I smiled, placing the tray down and climbing up beside her.

"I'm not hungry," she said defeated.

I sighed and watched as she stared out of the window.

"You need to eat sweetheart, we need to keep you healthy," I said, resting my hand on top of the bed covers where her legs would be.

"I can't, I've got no appetite," she said, still not making eye contact.

"Just try a little bit for me Mali, I'm worried about you," I admitted.

She looked surprised at my revelation, as though she didn't understand why someone would care enough about her to worry.

"You don't need to worry about me," she said, anxiously tapping her fingers.

"I know I don't need to. But Amalia, I can't help it. I love you so much sweetheart and it hurts seeing you in pain like this," I confessed, hoping I'd get through to her.

"I'm not in pain," she explained.

"I'm numb," she added, her eyes finally lifting to meet mine.