Chapter 39

Danielle POV

"Are you ready sweetheart?" I asked the young teenager glued to my side.

She looked up at me, her eyes hollow but gave a slight nod.

"Take a deep breath for me," I instructed.

She did as I asked and I took hold of her hand. We were about to walk in when she hesitated.

"You're staying right?" She asked nervously.

"I'm not going anywhere Amalia," I assured her.

In a few moments, we were about to go and see Amalia's mom. Stefania remained at Amalia's house to provide the police with all the information she could. We'd checked with Amalia first if she could tell them the whole entire story. Even she knew that we couldn't keep this to ourselves any longer.

There were lots of discussions going on with the doctors as to whether what had happened to Rob and Amalia's mom was fully Covid related or whether alcohol and drugs were involved.

Amalia had been prepared by one of her mom's doctors that things were critical and to expect the worst.

"Come on baby," I encouraged, guiding her forward into the room.

Her mom way lay there covered with wires and an oxygen mask covering her face. Amalia inched closer, still keeping tight hold of my hand.

"Mom?" She said quietly, almost too scared to speak.

Her mom was in a semi state of consciousness, we were unsure how responsive she would be. Upon hearing a voice, she slowly turned her head to face us.

"A-amalia," she struggled to say.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner," Mali said, a tear trickling down her cheek.

"Attorney," she said breathlessly.

"What?" Amalia asked confused, looking up at mad for help.

"You want a power of attorney?" I confirmed.

She nodded weakly.

"Mali sweetheart, can I step outside a moment? I'll be right back," I asked her.

She bravely nodded, releasing the grip she had on my hand. I stepped out the private room and headed straight over to the nurses station and asked if they could arrange a power of attorney for Amalia's mom.

She said she'd have it sorted for us as soon as possible.

I returned to find Amalia sat on the chair beside her mom's bed. I stood by the door, not wanting to invade their privacy. Amalia looked over and beckoned me closer.

"Here," she said, standing to offer me the only chair in the room.

I took a seat and pulled her down onto my knee. I held her around her waist.

"Amalia," her mom said slowly.

"Not your fault," she breathed out.

I felt Mali tense but I was so relieved she'd heard this from her mom. I knew Mali would blame herself for everything.

There was a knock at the door, Mali and I turned to see the nurse I'd spoken to earlier and a man in a suit.