Chapter 29

Amalia POV

"You ready?" Danielle asked, coming to sit beside me on the sofa.

I took a shaky breath and nodded. Today would be my first therapy session. A few more conversations with Danielle had me convinced it was worth a shot. Despite agreeing to it, I felt incredibly anxious about speaking to a stranger, even if it was through a laptop.

Danielle moved to lean forward and open up her laptop that was sitting on the coffee table. She switched it on and typed in her password.

"Danielle?" I said quietly.

"Hmmm sweetie?" She replied as she opened up her emails to get the video link.

"You're staying right?" I asked nervously, chewing down on the corner of my mouth.

She stopped what she was doing and turned to face me.

"Do you want me to?"

I nodded, tapping my fingers together.

"Then I'm not going anywhere sunshine," she said with a smile.

"What if I don't know what to say?" I asked, feeling myself panic slightly.

"What if I can't say anything at all?"

"And what if she thinks I'm lying," I say, my breathing getting a little out of control. 

I clutch my chest and look up at Dani.

"Danielle I don't like this," I breathe out.

"Okay Mali look at me, look at me," she says calmly, bringing my hands down and holding them in her own.

"Let's breathe together," she said, modelling her own deep inhale.

"And out," she breathed.

Once much calmer, she let go of one of my hands, bringing hers up to wipe away a stray tear that had escaped.

"Look at me sunshine," she whispered.

"I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere. If you need me to talk or explain anything, all you have to do is look at me and I'll know," she said softly.

"My own therapist recommended Carla and she's got a fantastic reputation. But if you don't like her, we don't need to work with her," Danielle said, tucking my hair back.

"Okay," I nodded.

Danielle checked her watch.

"It's time to join the link, are you ready Mali?" She asked, her finger hovering over the button.

I moved a little closer to her, already feeling incredibly vulnerable but nodded yes.

She clicked the link.

As though we were on hold on the phone, we were put into a virtual waiting room.

Twenty seconds later a woman with long brown hair and dark eyes appeared on the screen with a friendly smile across her face.

"Hi I'm Carla," she said calmly, introducing herself.

"And you must be Amalia?" She added.

I nodded into the camera and felt Danielle lift my hand in hers, placing it down on her knee where she could keep hold of it.

"And that makes you Danielle?" Carla assumed.

"Yes, nice to meet you," Danielle said with her signature smile.

"How are we both doing today?" She asked.

I felt my throat close up. I physically could say a single word. I started to bounce my leg up and down and tried to pull me hand away from Danielle to scratch at my arm or something but she kept tight hold.