Chapeter 123

Amalia POV

I woke up and for the first time in fourteen years felt happy that it was my birthday. I just had a feeling that today was going to be a good day.

I stretched out my arms and legs before pulling back the duvet and climbing out of bed.

"Morning Mali," Danielle greeted me when I entered the kitchen.

I smiled but felt my stomach drop a little. I think I'd secretly hoped her first words would be happy birthday.

Danielle looked as though she was getting ready to go out. I leant against the kitchen counter and watched as she tied her shoes and pulled on her jacket.

"Where're you going?" I asked.

"Oh, Emily called and she wants us to go over some stuff for my episode," she said quickly, rushing towards the door.

"How long will you be?" I asked, feeling disheartened.

"I don't know Amalia, however long it takes," Dani sighed, sounding exasperated with me.

"Okay," I nodded, not trusting my voice not to break if I said anything else.

Danielle left without another word. No hug, no I love you, no sign at all that she'd remembered my birthday.

I stood staring at the front door for a while, hoping Danielle would come back and tell me she'd just played a mean trick but ten minutes past and the door remained closed.

Feeling vulnerable, I hoped that Stefania had remembered and headed towards their bedroom.

I knocked but there wasn't any reply.

I pushed the door open to see Stefania still asleep their bed. Quietly, I moved across the room and climbed into Danielle's side of the bed.

I wanted mama to take away all the bad feelings I was having.

I snuggled up next to her and lay my arm across her stomach, hoping that she'd sense it was me and let me snuggle up to her.

"Hmm no bella," she said sleepily, pushing my arm off her.

"It's too hot,"

"Too hot for that," she said, moving herself away from me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, also moving away to give her more space.

Once she'd woken up more, she turned to face me.

She smiled tiredly before getting out of bed and going into the bathroom.

I waited patiently for her to return and hoped that once she'd woken up fully, she'd remember what day it was.

"You need to get ready Amalia,"

"You can't be in pyjamas all day,"

No happy birthday.

"What are we doing today mama?" I asked.

"Danielle's already out and I need to walk Jeff this morning. I've got two zoom meetings this afternoon as well. You can just get all your school work done," she shrugged as if it were any other day. 

I could sense that I was about to cry so rushed to climb out of their bed and get back to my room. Once there, I sat on my own bed and felt the tears start to fall. Reaching for my phone to see if anyone had messaged me, I was met with a bunch of Instagram notifications.

I opened the app, expecting to see positive posts and birthday messages but I only saw hate.

"Worthless,"