Chapter 37

Amalia POV

"Amalia I'm leaving now," I heard Danielle call through her house.

She'd made sure Stefania was back with Jeff before heading out to her mom's.

I took a deep breath, knowing this could be the last time I saw her for a while, if not ever. I doubted she'd want anything to do with me after she finds out I've wasted all her time and energy and gone back to my mom's and Robert's.

I walked over to her, unable to hide the tears in my eyes. I knew she would think they were solely from her going out now.

"Oh sunshine, I won't be long I promise," she said sadly, pulling me into her arms.

I clung onto her, never wanting to let go. I savoured the feeling of warmth and safety that she radiated.

"You'll be absolutely fine beautiful girl," she whispered, holding my head to her chest.

"Stefania's here if you need her, she's just changing," she added.

I nodded silently against her. She released her arms from around me and picked up her bag.

I stood and watched her open the door, she was about to leave when I stopped her.

"Danielle?"

She turned back around.

"Yes sweetheart?"

I paused not knowing what to say.

"I love you,"

She looked at me, her blue eyes directly meeting my brown.

"I love you too my sunshine," she smiled.

"I won't be long Mali I promise," she said again, blowing me a kiss and walking out the door.

I stared at the closed door for what felt like forever.

"Bambina?" Stefania said, walking in and making me jump.

I turned to face her and wiped my cheek to get rid of the tears.

"Do you want to talk?" She asked kindly.

I shook my head.

"No, thank you though," I smiled weakly.

I walked straight up to her and surprised her by wrapping my arms around her waist. I didn't want to leave her either. Despite her surprise, she held me tightly, reciprocating the hug.

"Thank you," I whispered, holding onto her.

Like Danielle, she held me close, holding the back of my head gently to her.

"We're always here for you bambina, both of us," she said softly.

I pulled back.

"I think I'm going to try and take a nap," I said.

"Good idea bella, do you want me to stay with you?" She asked, tucking my hair back.

"No I think I'll be alright," I lied.

"Okay bambina, I'll be in the garden if you need me," she smiled warmly.

I turned and made my way back to Danielle's spare room. I couldn't call it my room any longer. Quickly grabbing my backpack, I threw a few things in. I couldn't take everything, I wouldn't be able to carry it all. I did however make sure that I packed my Winnie the Pooh bear that Stefania got for me.

I sat down on the bed with my notebook and a pen, knowing that I couldn't go without giving Danielle some sort of explanation.

Dear Danielle,