Chapter 88

Danielle POV

"Oh sweetheart," I sighed, looking up from my phone to see Amalia stood at my bedroom door looking helpless.

Glanced at the time to see it was only 6:30am, Stefania lay asleep in bed beside me.

"Come get in sunshine," I said, pulling back the covers slightly.

I shuffled over into the middle of the bed, allowing room for Amalia to climb in next to me. I frowned sadly thinking of a time when she'd have just come and run and jumped between Stef and I, all laughs and smiles.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do it," she said quietly, sitting up straight.

"You did do it Mali. It's 6:30, you lasted all night bub," I smiled proudly.

Last night had been the first night since being back with Stefania and I that Amalia had slept alone in her own room. A tiny thing but a huge achievement nonetheless. I'd stayed with her and read to her until she'd fallen asleep but reluctantly left her be once I was sure she had settled.

I'd have happily had her in our bed every night but I knew it was good progress that she'd slept alone despite me anxiously checking on her about three times throughout the night.

"I'm proud of you Amalia, these baby steps are what it's all about," I assured her, lifting my arm for her to snuggle in beside me.

"It seems so slow," she sighed, resting against me.

"Slow progress is still progress," I whispered, kissing the top of her head.

"Ooo I think someone else is waking up," I smirked, nudging Mali and gesturing to Stefania.

Amalia glanced across me and chuckled, music to my ears hearing any sort of laugh coming from ber.

Stefania groaned and stretched out her long arms straight above her head.

"Ahhhhh," she yawned loudly, causing Amalia and I to both giggle slightly.

Still half asleep, Stefania rolled onto her side and attempted to drape an arm and leg over me, only to find Amalia had already taken up half of my body.

Stefania opened her eyes to see Mali and I looking at her.

"Hmm no fair," she whined, turning onto her back again.

"What?" I asked.

"The bambina has your boobs," she said dramatically , pointing at Amalia who was lay comfortably on my chest.

"Mama!" Amalia gasped, laughing properly for the first time since being home.

I couldn't hide the smile on my face, even if it was from Stefania complaining that she didn't have access to my boobs.

"We can share," Amalia said, adjusting herself slightly but remaining in my arms.

"Perfetto bambina," Stefania smiled, taking her place on the opposite side to Mali, now back on her side and laying an arm over the both of us.

"Do I even get a say in this?" I asked, pretending to be offended.

I felt them both shake their heads against me.

"Well then," I said acting all moody.

"Don't be grumpy mom," Amalia said, reaching up and placing her hand on my cheek.

I tilted my head into her hand further and smiled.

"How could I be? I've got my gorgeous lady and beautiful little lady in my arms," I said.