Chapter 53

Danielle POV

My eyes opened, the light from outside forcing them close again straight away.

I slowly opened them again, letting them adjust to the morning sun. I looked down to see that Amalia was no longer laying on me. Instead, she had rolled over on to her side and was tucked into Stefania's chest with Stef's arm resting around her.

I felt a slight pounding in my head, not surprising with the amount I drank yesterday afternoon. I propped myself up on my elbow and watched my two girls sleep. It was moments like this I knew that every decision I'd made regarding Amalia was the right one.

Here she was safe.

There were so many times I'd gone to bed not knowing whether she was alright or not. But now, I was watching her sleep in Stefania's arms and knew that she was safe.

"Good morning bellina,"

I shook myself out of my thoughts and saw that Stefania was now awake. She caught my gaze and smiled her beautiful smile.

"Good morning my love," I whispered, careful not to wake Amalia.

"Looks like I stole your girl," she said quietly, gesturing to Mali asleep on her chest.

"She's our girl," I smiled softly, reaching my hand out to gently stroke her arm.

Stefania blushed and nodded, holding Amalia that little bit closer.

"How're you feeling?" She asked, glancing back up at me.

"A little headache but i'm good," I told her.

"I'll go make you some coffee," Stef said, about to roll Mali off of her.

"No it's okay, I can go," I said trying to stop her.

"It's fine bella, here, you take the bambina instead," she whispered, unwrapping her arm from around the small teenager.

I moved to sit up against the back of the bed.

"M-mmm," Amalia whined slightly at the loss of contact from Stefania.

Stef tried to gently guide her back over and into my awaiting arms.

"Shhh sunshine, it's okay," I said calmly, holding her close to me.

"M-momma," she whined sleepily, holding onto me and settling back down.

Stefania, already half way across the room, stopped dead and spun around.

My eyes met hers but neither of us spoke.

I shook my head at her, not wanting her to make a big deal of it. Amalia was still asleep, whatever she'd said, she hadn't been fully conscious of.

"Shh Mali, Dani's here," I whispered, keeping the butterflies in my stomach that I felt at hearing that word to myself.

I ran my fingers through her hair, wanting her to remain asleep and rest as much as possible.

I kissed the top of her head, smiling as she nestled further into me.

Stefania soon returned carrying two mugs of coffee and two envelopes.

"Thank you my love," I said as she placed one down either side of the bed.

"What're they?" I asked, referring to the envelopes.

"You'll have to wait until the bambina wakes up," she smirked, climbing back into bed.

"Ohhh," I pouted impatiently.

"Wake her up if you want," she laughed, picking up her coffee.

"Nooo, that would be mean," I chuckled, frowning across at Stefania as I held Amalia closer.