Chapter 87

Danielle POV

3 days later.

3 days since we'd got Mali back.

3 days and she'd barely said 3 words.

"How is she?" Macy asked down the phone as I sat running my fingers through Jeff's fur outside.

I sighed deeply.

"She's broken Mace, I don't know what to do for her," I admitted hopelessly.

"It's gonna take time Dani, she's probably been through hell and back,"

"But she won't tell us anything. She's gone completely silent. We can't get her to eat, she's barely drinking and I swear she's not even sleeping properly. She looks like she's asleep but I'm sure she's just closing her eyes and pretending," I told her.

"What's Stefania said?" She asked.

"She's about an hour away from phoning the doctor again. She said if she doesn't eat before midday then she's calling them out," I sighed, knowing Stef was right.

"How was she when the doctor came out the first night?"

"She just shut down. She wouldn't let them examine her properly. She's probably in more pain than she's letting on based on the bruises we can see," I told her.

"Have you called her therapist? That might be an option to get her talking?" Macy suggested.

I thought about ringing Carla. We we running out of options so it might be a shout.

"I'll call later," I said sadly.

"Has she let you go near her?" Macy asked.

"Yeah, she wants to be held. Not for long or all the time but she'll come to either Stef or I when she wants some physical comfort," I explained.

"Oh well that's a good sign Dani," she said encouragingly.

"Yeah, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't hold her. Honestly, I want her in my arms 24/7. I never want to let go of her. I'm terrified of losing her,"

I wiped an escaped tear away and sat back against the chair.

"Danielle, you need to make an appointment with your therapist too. You need to keep yourself mentally strong here," she said seriously.

"I'll call," I agreed, again knowing she was right.

I looked up when I heard movement coming from the patio doors.

Amalia was stood, looking weak and frail, hovering nervously by the door.

I smiled and gestured for her to come join me.

"Mace, I'll give you a ring later okay," I said, wanting to give my full attention to Mali.

"No worries, let me know if you need me to do anything. Love you all," she said.

"Love you, talk later," I said before hanging up.

"Hi gorgeous girl," I said warmly, turning to face an exhausted Amalia.

She smiled softly.

"How're you feeling my sunshine?" I asked, knowing she probably wouldn't reply.

She shrugged her shoulders and avoided eye contact.

"Do you need anything?" I asked, reaching out and tucking her hair back.

Wordlessly, she shook her head.

"Just want some mommy time?" I smiled.

She smiled back, a light blush on her cheeks as she nodded.

"That's more than okay with me," I said, opening my arms up for her.