Chapter 142

Amalia POV

I woke up having slept much better than I had the last couple of weeks. Climbing out of bed, I realised the house still felt very quiet. It must still be early.

I pushed open the door to Danielle and Stefania's room slightly and peaked around.

Stefania lifted her head from her book and offered me her signature, warm smile.

"Buongiorno bella, come join me," she said, closing her book and patting the empty space beside her.

"Where's mom?" I asked, walking across the room to their bed.

I climbed under the covers on Danielle's side and shuffled across to Stef. She lifted her arm and let me nestle into her, wrapping it around me securely.

"She's just had to run to the store," Stefania told me calmly.

"She'll be back soon though right?" I asked, feeling a little anxiety in my chest.

"Si bambina," Stefania said, kissing the top of my head.

"She won't be long at all," she added. 

I nodded against her and rolled a little more into her.

"Did you have fun last night mama?" I asked, not having seen her when she got home.

"Si bella, the photography was amazing and it was very nice to see my friend Liandra, it's been about a year since I saw her," she told me.

"When did you get home?"

"I think it was about 11:30pm. You were already tucked up in bed bambina and mama didn't want to wake you," Stefania said softly, her fingers running through my hair.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked.

I nodded against her.

"Better than I have in a long time," I admitted.

"That's probably because you got everything off your chest by telling Danielle the truth," Stefania sighed. 

"So she's told you?" I asked nervously, pushing myself up off her body to turn and look at her.

My eyes met hers and it was like she was reading my mind for a moment.

"Bella I'm not angry," Stefania said before anything else, knowing I needed to hear that.

"I'm proud of you for admitting your truth and listening to your heart. It's not easy to do bambina," she smiled, gently bringing her hand to my cheek.

"Danielle and I only ever want you to be happy,"

"That's what Dani said," I smiled softly.

"And she's always right," Stefania winked.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I said sadly, looking down and breaking eye contact.

She moved her hand from my cheek to under my chin, lifting my gaze with her finger.

"We got there in the end though didn't we," she smiled.

"Hopefully it won't feel as difficult to come to us next time," she added.

"Next time?" I questioned.

"You're fourteen Amalia, there's going to be a next time," Stefania chuckled.

"I used to call my mama all the time with the tiniest problem. She was the first person I wanted to tell anything to and she had the best advice. I used to call her even when I had a tough stain to get out of a white shirt or when I'd forgotten the spices I needed for a specific recipe. She never laughed or got angry no matter what time of day I called. And that was just with the small things, when it was something much bigger and life altering she'd stay on the phone with me for hours talking everything through until I felt better about whatever the situation was,"