Chapter 86

Danielle POV

"Home sweet home ladies," my mom said happily as she pulled up outside my house.

Amalia didn't move a muscle as Stefania and my mom climbed out of the car.

"Come on Mali, let's get you inside," I said gently, leaning over her to unfasten her seatbelt.

She looked up at me helplessly.

"Hey, I've got you okay. I know this is a lot sunshine so let me take control. Let me look after you Mali," I said, wiping one of my own tears away.

It was killing me seeing how empty she looked.

"Tell me what you need sweetheart. Tell me how to help," I asked, keeping her hands loosely in mine.

"I-I.." she began.

"It's okay sunshine," I assured her.

"I d-dont know," she stuttered.

"That's alright baby, mama and I have got you," I smiled weakly.

She nodded slowly and finally made a move to get out of the car.

I walked behind her and up to the front door where Stef was waiting.
Amalia paused as she reached the doorstep.

"You're home bambina," Stefania said softly, reaching out her hand.

Slowly, Mali took it as she turned to look at me.

"I'm here," I assured her, knowing I'd be doing that for the foreseeable future.

The moment we were inside, Jeff bounded across the room. Clearly excited to see Amalia, she made a beeline straight for her.
The loud sound of her paws on the floor and the barking caused Amalia to bring her hands up straight to her ears. I watched as she squeezed her eyes shut and flinched back from the dog.

"Ahhh ahh Jeff no. Silenzio, calmati," Stef said, quickly taking hold of Jeff's collar.

Not understanding what was wrong, Jeff whimpered at being moved away from her bestie.

"I-I'm s-sorry," Amalia cried, shaking her head from side to side.

"I'm s-sorry," she kept repeating.

"Shhh Mali it's alright. It's alright. Come sit down with me," I said, guiding her over to the sofa.

I sat down beside her tiny frame as she sobbed into her hands.

"Shh it's okay Mali, big deep breaths," I instructed.

"I want Jeff. I'm sorry, I do want Jeff," she cried, uncovering her face and looking at me ungently.

I looked over at Stefania who lifted Jeff into her arms. She joined us by the sofa and crouched down. Jeff, now picking up on Amalia's anxieties, had calmed down and settled in Stef's arms.

"She's here bambina," Stefania smiled. She lifted Amalia's hand carefully and placed it on top of Jeff. Amalia's fingers tentatively ran through her fur as Jeff nuzzled her head into her hand.

"She's missed you bella," Stef said sadly, watching the calm reunion between the two.

"I t-thought about h-her," Amalia said, not lifting her eyes.

"Do you want to tell us what happened sunshine?" I asked, not really prepared for if she did.

Silently, she shook her head.

"When you're ready Mali, we're gonna be here," Stefania told her seriously.

At that moment, my mom walked in with a tray of drinks and snacks.