Chapter Two

Dorcas was humming all throughout breakfast and that left Calypso feeling a little unsettled because Dorcas Meadowes didn't hum.

           "What has gotten into you?" Calypso asked. She was counting her Galleons to make sure she had enough money to buy herself enough pumpkin pasties to hold her over for the next few weeks. Sirius's birthday was the upcoming Sunday, so she'd have to buy him a birthday present or else he'd be unbearable for weeks.

            "Benjy asked me out on a date to Hogsmeade," Dorcas said happily. Calypso groaned. Dorcas had an on-and-off again relationship with their fellow Ravenclaw, Benjy Fenwick. Benjy was . . . an acquired taste. When they first started at Hogwarts, he'd been downright horrible. But underneath all of the hardness, there turned out to be a decent guy. While Calypso loved Dorcas and Benjy, she loved them separately. Dorcas was the first to realize Benjy wasn't the horrible person he was parading himself as, but their relationship could be a bit of a whirlwind. When they were good, they were great, but when they were bad, they were awful. "What are you going to do?"

                  "I'm meeting the boys at the Three Broomsticks whenever Sirius gets done with his date. Maybe I'll walk around Hogsmeade with Remus — oh, don't make that face at me." Calypso scolded when she caught sight of Dorcas's unimpressed expression.

                  "Calypso and Remus sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G —"

                  "Real mature, Dorcas." Calypso laughed. After Dorcas realized that Calypso was friends with the four Gryffindor boys and met them, she said that the only one she liked was Remus. Ever since then she's been an active supporter of Calypso dating Remus, even when Calypso reminded her that she was strictly just friends with all of the boys. Dating any of them was out of the question, unfathomable. "Let's go. Benjy's waiting for you."

                  Calypso took Dorcas by the arm, eager to drop the conversation of her and Remus before it really started, and they went down to the entrance hall where everyone was waiting.

                 "Calypso!" James cried out dramatically, throwing his arms out.

                 "James!" Calypso mimicked.

                 "It's been too long." James said, wiping away fake tears. Remus rolled his eyes at his two friends while Peter chuckled. "Come on. Let's go give Filchy our slips."

                 Calypso looked around, trying to get a glimpse at where Sirius was through the large sea of people. Finding him wasn't too hard; all she had to do was look for his Fan Club and there he was, hand-in-hand with Alena the Hufflepuff as everyone moved down the path.

                 James glanced at Calypso from the corner of his eye and noticed where her attention had been directed. He narrowed his eyes at the side of her head before tugging her further down the path.

                  "What are you doing?" She asked.

                 "What are you getting Sirius for his birthday?" James asked, ignoring her question completely as he dragged her by the sleeve beside him. She wasn't surprised by this. James had the shortest attention span out of anyone she'd ever met. Sometimes she'd ask him a question but he'd already have moved on to a different topic altogether.

                   "Sweets, I think. That's what I normally get from him. His birthday is right next to Christmas, so there's no point in getting him two good gifts. I wouldn't want him feeling too special." Calypso joked as they made their way into Hogsmeade Village. She caught sight of Dorcas and Benjy walking into Dominic Maestro's Music Shop while Sirius and Alena ducked into Madam Puddifoot's. "Don't tell me he's taking his date to Madam Puddifoot's."