Chapter Sixty

Calypso's eyes snapped open to see Sirius and Dorcas looking down at her with expressions of concern on their faces. Calypso blinked slowly, wondering how she ended up on the floor before the face of Professor McGonagall appeared behind Dorcas.

"Miss Krane," Professor McGonagall cried out, bending down beside Calypso as the girl sat up. Calypso brought her hand up to the side of her head where a throbbing sensation beat against her skull. "What happened? Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." Calypso said, casting a quick, discreet glance at Sirius to let him know that she had seen something. She let out an uneasy chuckle. "I guess I'm a little more nervous to Apparate than I thought. My sister used to tell me horrible stories about people splinching and it was all I could think about before I fell asleep."

Calypso was, momentarily, surprised by how easily the lie seemed to come out of her, but she didn't dwell on it for too long since Professor McGonagall dismissed her from the Great Hall. Sirius eagerly volunteered to accompany Calypso and, with a roll of her eyes, Professor McGonagall agreed to let him follow along.

"What did you see?" Sirius asked her the moment they exited the Great Hall and walked through the empty corridors of Hogwarts.

Calypso relayed to him everything she knew — Maverick and Alex, at least, were still alive and her grandmother was keeping them alive for some reason, though Calypso didn't know why. But, she couldn't shake the feeling she got when her grandmother looked directly at her. It was almost like she could see her but Calypso didn't understand how that was possible. It shouldn't have been possible.

           "We should tell Dumbledore. The Order could go in and rescue them before it's too late." Sirius suggested, but Calypso shook her head.

            "I've never seen the place they were staying at before. If Eloise gets on the inside, she can find out the location and then the Order can go in. For now, I think I need to start trying to understand how these visions work. Maybe I'll be able to figure out how to control when they happen." Calypso said. She and Sirius made their way to the library and spent the next few hours that everyone else was at Apparition Lessons searching for any information on the Gift. "Rhea said that Maverick has the Gift 'like her mother and her mother before her'. I know it comes from the Ravenswood side of the family, but I don't know anything else about them other than the fact that they're descended from Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin."

        "I've never heard much about them either, apart from what people used to whisper." Sirius said. Calypso frowned, taking her eyes off the book she was riding to turn in her chair to face her boyfriend.

          "What do you mean?"

          "It's just . . . the few times I've heard people talk about the Ravenswoods before they all went extant was that they were all cursed to have something terrible to them. I think my grandmother said once that 'bad things always happen to Ravenswoods'." Sirius said. Calypso frowned. She hardly ever heard people mention Grandma Astrea's side of the family throughout the years and she certainly hadn't heard about this 'cursed' business. Calypso wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Her family did seem to have horrible luck as of late.

           Calypso tried not to let a frown cross over her face as a thought went through her mind. She desperately wished her mum was still around. If she was, she would be able to help Calypso through this — to teach her how to control her visions and guide her through what she was supposed to do. She was only seventeen, she wasn't sure how to handle with the fact that her grandmother, who had taken her in when she had nowhere else to go, was a Death Eater and had taken her little sister and stepfather. Everything was a mess and all Calypso wished she could do was ask her mum for advice on how to handle the situation, but she, like the rest of her family, were gone.