Chapter Thirteen

Calypso woke up the morning her friends were supposed to be visiting and felt a rush of excitement course through her. She quickly got ready for the day before running downstairs and finding Alex preparing something on the stove.

      ''What are you making?'' She asked when the smell of whatever Alex was cooking hit her nose.

     ''Pancakes!'' Alex exclaimed happily. Calypso tilted her head before Alex took one and set it on a plate. He drizzled it in syrup and handed it to Calypso. She hesitantly cut her fork into it before placing it in her mouth. Her eyes widened at how delicious it was.

    ''This is amazing.'' Calypso smiled, stuffing more into her mouth when her mum entered the room and placed a kiss on the side of top of Calypso's head.

     ''Good morning, Cal." 

      ''Morning, Mum. Where's Ophelia?'' Calypso asked, noticing her sister's absence. Rania sighed and leaned against the countertop. She was only three months pregnant, so she wasn't showing that much, but Calypso knew that by the time the end of the year rolled around she'd have a little brother or little sister. She was hoping for a brother, Ophelia was already a handful.

     ''Your sister is getting ready . . . to go with your father.''

     ''What? Why?'' Calypso frowned, startled by the revelation. Alex turned to Rania with a concerned expression on his face as Rania inhaled through her nose.

      ''While we were in California, Ophelia wrote to your father and told him I was pregnant. As expected, he didn't take the news very well, but . . . Ophelia asked him if she could live with him full time.'' 

     ''What?" Calypso asked, softly. She didn't miss the moisture that lined her mother's eyes and she could tell the woman was on the verge of crying. Alex rubbed her back soothingly, but that didn't do much to ease the pain Rania felt. "Does that mean I'll have to spend Christmas alone with Dad while Ophelia visits you from now on?"

        Rania frowned when she heard Calypso's tone, but nodded her head distractedly. Calypso huffed.

      ''What a horrible way to start the day . . ." She mumbled sadly. She placed her chin in her hand and sulked, watching the clock to count down the moments until her friends would arrive.

         At one point, Calypso heard a loud crack come from outside and she knew her father had arrived. Shortly after, Ophelia came from her bedroom carrying her trunk and owl. Calypso glared daggers at her sister.

        "Really, Ophelia?" Calypso asked, her face flaring red with anger. "You seriously had to do this to Mum?"

        "Mum will be fine. She has a new family now and you're delusional if you think that there's any room for us in it." Ophelia said. Calypso's jaw dropped, not understanding where this was coming from. "Mum has a new husband and she's pregnant. She's going to have a whole new family by the time the year's up and her and Dad only split up two years ago —"

         "You don't know what you're talking about." Calypso snapped. Ophelia raised a brow.

        "I don't? We'll see what happens when the baby arrives and when Mum forgets all about you, don't come crying to me about it."

        "I won't!" Calypso said angrily. 

        "You're a kid, so you don't understand —"

        "The only thing I don't understand is how you looked us in the face and pretended that everything was fine while writing to dad behind our backs. Dad, of all people. Dad who, a few months ago, used the Cruciatus Curse against me —"