Chapter Thirty-Three

"Try again." Rhea said calmly as she circled Calypso. Calypso grinded her teeth together, feeling agitated as she held her wand in front of her. For the past month she had spent nearly every night in her grandmother's classroom trying to learn how to cast a Patronus charm, along with other Defense techniques. Calypso hadn't realized how strong of a witch her grandmother was, but it seemed that the woman was skilled in everything Calypso could think of. She was like a walking encyclopedia — it was no wonder the Ministry loved to keep her around.

     "I can't." Calypso groaned. She was already annoyed due to her team's lost against Hufflepuff earlier that day. It had all come down to a race between the Seekers to get the Snitch since the game was tied and was running overtime by a lot. In the end, the Hufflepuff Seeker ended up winning and Calypso knew Mira was sulking and blaming herself for their loss. That, and it had been her first Quidditch game as Captain of the team and they had lost. She heard the students whispering about how they wished Hestia was still around and that put a damper on her spirits.

      "Stop," Rhea said, bringing Calypso's arm down by her side when the girl shot out nothing but wisps from the tip of her wand. Calypso sighed, frustrated, and Rhea stared at the girl for a while. "What's on your mind? And don't lie to me. I always know when someone's lying."

     "Really?" Calypso asked, skeptically. Rhea smirked and nodded her head.

     "Oh, yeah. Your father couldn't get away with anything when he was a boy." Rhea said. She smiled fondly before her face dropped.

     "What happened between you and Dad? Why haven't you been around for five years?" Calypso asked. Rhea went quiet again.

       "I'll answer your question if you tell me what's wrong." Rhea bargained.

        "I don't know. Losing the Quidditch game really threw me off. My team worked so hard during practice and I feel like I have a lot to prove as Captain and I'm not doing a good job. I feel like a failure and everyone else thinks so too, apparently. Maybe I should just make someone else Captain." Calypso confessed.

       "No." Rhea said firmly with a stern look on her face. "You will try again. We Krane's aren't quitters and failure doesn't deter us — it inspires us. You will learn from your mistakes and do better next time, but you mustn't give up."

        Calypso chewed on the inside of her cheek. She knew her grandmother was right. She'd have to go back out there and prove to everyone before their match against Slytherin in February that she was made Captain for a reason.

          "Now, what happened between you and Dad?" Calypso asked, changing the subject.

       "Your father and I were rather close before the fight. Icarus may deny it now, but my son is the greatest achievement of my life, just like you and your sister are his." Rhea said. Calypso looked at her grandmother warily and wondered if the woman knew what her son was truly capable of. "But, things change and people change. I changed. You have to understand, Calypso, that I grew up with a certain set of beliefs that I instilled in your father. I don't agree with them now, but your father and I got into a massive quarrel over it. Harsh words were thrown around and both of us are far too stubborn to make peace with the other."

       "Will you ever speak to him again?" Calypso asked. Rhea hesitated for a moment before sighing.

       "One day, we will. My son has his faults, but he's as human as you and me. He only wants to protect you and Ophelia, even if it may not seem like it all the time." Rhea said. Calypso clamped her mouth shut because she didn't want to argue that point with her grandmother. She didn't think her father cared about her at all.