Chapter Fifteen

Sirius Black is a liar.

     That's what was going through Calypso's head while she tried to power through Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. She found herself unable to focus on the back that was already hard enough to read because the thought kept bouncing around in her mind.

       Sirius Black is nothing but a stupid liar.

      In all of Calypso's four years at Hogwarts, she had never sat in an empty compartment until now. Ever since the first day of first year, she always knew she could sit with the boys until now.

      Normally, she liked being alone, but the end of the summer had been filled with a lot of alone time for her. After Narcissa and Lucius's wedding, her mum decided to take Alex on a spur-of-the-moment holiday to Paris, leaving Calypso alone at the cottage until her grandmother came and stayed with her through the trip to Diagon Alley and dropped her off at King's Cross Station. 

      Her being alone in the compartment hadn't been by choice. Marlene McKinnon and Karma Catriona had wanted to sit in the compartment with the boys. Marlene sat there, because she was officially dating Sirius and Karma was sitting there because she and Remus had become fast friends. They had offered to move around and readjust themselves so that Calypso could have more room, but she decided it wasn't worth it and said that she'd find other people to sit with. She looked around for other compartments, but couldn't find one. Her other Gryffindor friends were sitting in a full compartment, Fabian and Gideon were with their older Gryffindor friends, and Dorcas and Pandora were seated in a full compartment too.

     So, she was alone with nothing but the pile of books she brought with her to keep her company and she was left with the thought that Sirius had lied when he said that no one could ever forget about her. Perhaps it was because of what Ophelia had said over the summer, but Calypso wasn't too pleased with her current situation even though it was partially her fault for not feeling like waiting for everyone to rearrange their seats to make room for her, but she didn't understand why they needed to make room for her in the first place. She had sat in that compartment before Peter and Remus and certainly before Karma and Marlene. Why did they have to make room for her instead of her having to make room for them?

     Calypso huffed and set Crime and Punishment to the side, too peeved to try to decipher the text any longer. She had already switched from rereading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie to grabbing Crime and Punishment, so she decided on picking up the book that was made the most intriguing read as of late — her grandmother's diary.

       The diary was, surprisingly, a lot more interesting than Calypso thought it was going to be. She thought her grandmother would write about her day to day activities, sprinkle in a few anecdotes about her friends, but that turned out to not be the case at all. She found her grandmother had these things called "episodes" where she would get really intense visions of the future, which reminded Calypso of her mother. Whenever her grandmother would have these visions, she would go to their Headmasters office and wait for them to subside. Apparently, they were so intense that she would fall to the ground or faint from them. 

     Her grandmother also wrote a lot about her friend named Tom. If Calypso had to guess, she would say that her grandmother was in love with this boy, though Calypso had never heard her speak about him before. Apparently, her and Tom did everything together and were thick as thieves. Astrea even visited Helena sometimes, which surprised Calypso the most because her grandmother had never mentioned it and neither had Helena. There were a few other people sprinkled in that Calypso had never imagined her grandmother would associate with before, like Abraxas Malfoy, Ramsey Lestrange, and Jasper Rosier. She had never, in all her years, seen Astrea interact with them but the diary wrote about those three boys as though they were old friends. Calypso searched for any mention of her other grandmother, the one who she barely knew, but there wasn't any in there either even though Calypso knew they had been in the same year.