Chapter Fifty

The morning of Calypso's seventeenth birthday, she woke up with a headache worse than anything she had ever felt in her life. There was a red burst of color creeping into her vision until it consumed it entirely. It felt like someone was splitting her head in two and she had to curl up into a ball on her bed as she was overcome with an intense amount of pain. 

     She could hear her roommates moving around and worrying about her, but listening to their voices only caused the pain to intensify. The bed sank down beside her and, judging from the familiar scent of vanilla, Calypso could tell that Dorcas was sitting by her bedside.

     Chills coursed through her body yet she could feel droplets of sweat rolling down the side of her face at the same time. Calypso felt arms wrap around her and lift her from the bed to carry her out of the room. Calypso snuggled closer to the warm chest that was carrying her and instantly knew that it was Sirius.

     She knew what this was. It was as the prophecy had predicted — when she turned seventeen, she would gain some sort of power.

      She certainly hadn't expected it to hurt this much.

      For a while, she was in and out of consciousness. At times she would open her eyes and see Sirius standing over her, looking at her with a fearful expression on his face or she'd see one of her friends looking equally as scared. There were healers crowding around her, but she couldn't tell what they were doing to here as she fell into another deep slumber.

     Calypso opened her eyes. She was standing in the middle of a room where a party was in full swing. Judging from the way people were dressed, she knew she was in the past. There were smiles on everyone's faces as they laughed and talked with one another.

      At the center of the room was a tall blonde woman dancing with a tall, dark haired man. The pair of them only had eyes for each other as they spoke in a hushed tone. Calypso could tell they were in the middle of an intimate and serious conversation from the way that the woman looked up at her, her bright green eyes filled with light and love.

    Calypso knew who this woman was. Though she looked different now, she would recognize Rhea Krane anywhere and, since there was a wedding band sitting on her ring finger, Calypso knew that the man she was staring at was her grandfather Atlas Krane.

    Calypso had never met her paternal grandfather before. Her maternal grandfather used to come around all the time before he died of dragon pox when she was seven, but her paternal grandfather had died years before she was born and her father never spoke about him because he didn't remember much about him. Those that did speak about her grandfather, however, had only wonderful things to say about him. 

     She watched as her grandmother brought her hand up to her husband's cheek and closed her eyes to place a soft kiss. It was odd to see her grandmother like this, happy and in love with a man that she never spoke about. There weren't even any pictures of them together in the house.

     But, then, Calypso's attention was turned when she saw a hooded figure creeping out of the shadows. She probably wouldn't have noticed him at all if it wasn't for the fact that he walked right past her with his wand in hand.

     Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Calypso glanced between the man and her grandparents, who were too wrapped up in each other to notice what was happening behind them. She wanted to scream out to them, to warn them, but she knew there was nothing she could do as she watched the man raise his wand and yell out,

     "AVADA KEDAVRA!"

    When Calypso opened her eyes, Sirius was at her bedside. He was holding her hand and singing a soft tune underneath his breath while he stared at the spot where their fingers intertwined. It took Calypso a moment before she realized what song he was singing.