Chapter Twenty-Eight

Calypso always had the strangest dreams. They would be filled with the unfamiliar faces of people she had never seen or met before or they would be extremely vague and leave her feeling confused after. Lately, she'd been having the same recurring dream that she wouldn't be able to decipher.

       She would be older with shorter hair and standing in a hallway that looked like it was in Astronomy Tower. Standing across from her would be an older Cordelia Rosier. Cordelia's eyes would be wide and sad, but she would never speak or say anything. The pair of them would just stare at each other in silence before Calypso would wake up. 

        The dream was the first thing that popped into Calypso's mind when she sat in the courtyard after the end of the Easter break and saw Cordelia briskly walk by with tears streaming down her face.

        "Cordelia?" Calypso asked with a frown. The girl turned to her, wiping furiously at her face. "What's the matter?"

       "It's nothing." Cordelia sniffed. Calypso continued to stare at her until Cordelia sighed. She sat down on the bench beside Calypso. "My mum died two years ago today."

        "Oh . . . how're you and Evan holding up? Have you written to Felix?" Calypso asked.

        "Dad likes to keep Felix busy on her anniversary. He was so young when Mum died that I don't even think he remembers her. Evan's been AWOL, like he normally is. I try to be strong for him, but he's been so . . . distant. He's always liked to handle things on his own, but everytime I try to talk to him he lashes out." Cordelia ranted. "I just feel like I'm failing her by letting him continue down this path he's going on. I-I don't know what to do."

         "I remember your Mum, Delia, and I can say with absolute certainty that she would be so proud of you. You always look out for your brothers and you are a fantastic sister. Evan will come around." said Calypso.

        "Yeah, you're probably right. Hey, if you see something going on with Evan, can you talk to him?" Cordelia asked.

         "Me?" Calypso asked, surprised. It was no secret that Evan Rosier didn't like her. "Are you-are you sure? Evan's not exactly my biggest fan . . ."

          "Evan's not anyone's biggest fan." Cordelia laughed. "Could you try, please? Before that whole incident with the eyebrows, Evan actually did like you. I think he even had a crush on you."

          Calypso choked on air. Evan Rosier liking her? That'd be the day . . .

         "Sure. If I notice something with Evan, I'll say something." Calypso said apprehensively. Cordelia's shoulders relaxed.

         "Thank you." Cordelia stood from her seat. She stopped and turned around. "Oh, and Ophelia's doing good. She's . . . her and Barnabas are actually in a good relationship."

        "That's . . . that's good." Calypso frowned. Cordelia nodded and walked away from Calypso. Calypso pursed her lips slightly when someone jumped over the bench and sat down next to her. "What do you want?"

           "That's no way to greet your favorite person." James said, poking her side. Calypso swatted his hand away from her and he frowned when he noticed the look on her face. "What's wrong?"

            "Nothing's wrong. I'm doing great in school and studying for our end-of-the-year exams. I have a lovely boyfriend. We have the last Quidditch game of the year coming up. Everything's fine except . . ." Calypso sighed and shook her head. "It's so stupid. I shouldn't be wishing that Ophelia and I could have a relationship like we used to. I shouldn't be wishing that I could have my sister back, but it just feels like my family is completely falling apart and there's nothing I can do to stop it."