A Father's Last Word

Dear Calypso,

     If you are reading this, then I am dead. I hate that it has to end this way and that I was never able to tell you the full truth while I was living, but you deserve to know and you must swear to not speak a word of this to anyone except Nerine.

     In 1970, I joined Voldemort and became a Death Eater. I won't try to make you believe I joined because I had some sort of false impression about what I was getting into because I wasn't. I understood what it was and what was going to be asked of me and I joined because a part of me believed in what they were fighting for.

    A year later you went to Hogwarts and were sorted into Ravenclaw. That same year, open warfare on Muggles and Muggleborns began. I saw what I was doing and realized that I no longer wanted to be a part of this, so I told your mother the truth and told her that I was going to the Ministry to turn myself in. She was furious. She was angry I joined, but she was also angry because turning myself in as a Death Eater would mean I would have to leave you and your sister behind, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't say anything at all, so I left.

    At the time, Minister Jenkins was at a loss on what to do with the Death Eaters. The Ministry was getting nowhere and didn't have any leads, so when I went to her she proposed an idea: I could get out of serving a life sentence in Azkaban if I agreed to help the Ministry in their fight against Voldemort.

    I knew it was dangerous, but it was better than a life sentence so I agreed to it. I secretly passed information to the Ministry while pretending to be one of Voldemort's most loyal followers. 

    I didn't want the three of you involved in any way, so I distanced myself. I destroyed my marriage with your mother to keep her away from this mess. I was horrible to you to make sure you wouldn't go anywhere near it, but Ophelia was more difficult.

    Ophelia joined him on her own after he recruited her personally during your third year and he tried to get her to recruit you too. Ophelia came to me and I was forced to bring her in on what I was doing. The more time we spent with Voldemort, the more we realized that it was you he wanted the most.

    You have the potential to be a very powerful witch, Calypso. As you develop your powers with Occlumency, Legilimency, and the Sight, you would be an aid to whichever side you chose to fight on and Voldemort knew this. 

     He wanted me to break you down first, beginning with performing the Cruciatus Curse. It was the worst thing I have ever done and no apology I could offer will ever make up for that. Voldemort hoped this would make you too scared to say no when I asked you to join his side, but it didn't. Then, he had Ophelia enchant your broom so that you wouldn't feel safe doing something you loved and so she convinced Severus Snape to perform his Sectumsempra curse on you in the corridor.

      But then, everything we did started to take a noticeable toll on your sister. She wanted out and she couldn't keep hurting you. She expressed her concerns to one of her friends, Alecto, and word got back to Voldemort that she was having doubts.

     He was going to kill her if you didn't join and I couldn't let that happen. I knew you would never be able to live with yourself if you fought with him, so I realized what I needed to do and I decided to pretend to be Ophelia.

     I haven't been a good father, or much of a father at all, for a while now, but I need you to know that I love you girls and though I died knowing that you hated me, I hope this letter makes you hate me a little less.

    As for your sister, she is safe and alive in a place where no one will find her. When Voldemort realizes he killed me instead of her, he will go after her. The safest place for you to be is at Hogwarts. For now, Voldemort will leave you alone and lay low, but he will be back for you. You have to keep fighting him. Do not let him win.

    Calypso, if Voldemort was right about one thing, it was that you could be one of the most powerful witches of our age. You are powerful enough to help fight him and you are strong enough to survive this.

    Life is short, Calypso. It will pass you by in the blink of an eye and you only get one shot at it, so don't be afraid of anything, not even Voldemort.

   You are capable of greatness. I've known it since the day you were born and I know it now.

  Goodbye, Calypso.

Icarus Krane