Chapter Thirty-Eight

Calypso was studying harder than ever before for the O.W.L.s which were still a few months away. Lily had asked Calypso to quiz her in Herbology in the library, but Calypso could tell Lily wasn't paying attention when Calypso began to list flesh-eating plants because all of her attention was drawn to Severus Snape. Snape stood in the corner of the library with the other Slytherin boys he grouped around with — Rosier, Mulciber, Avery, and Lestrange. Calypso hadn't ever spent much time talking to Snape, but he had been popping up more and more lately, especially whenever she was around the boys. Sometimes, it felt like he was even eavesdropping on their conversations but Calypso knew that would be ridiculous. 

     ''— and the Vampire Fig, which is nocturnal. Did I forget one? I feel like I did . . . oh! Right, of course, the Vampire Vine which is found in the swamps of — Lily, are you listening?'' Calypso asked when she noticed the girl wasn't even looking at her.

      ''Oh, sorry.'' Lily said, reverting her attention back to Calypso. Calypso followed her gaze and when it landed on Severus, she sighed. She'd heard from Alice that Snape hadn't been speaking to her in public lately and that, sometimes, Lily felt as though he was embarrassed of her for her blood status.

     ''He's a git, Lils. You're better off.'' Calypso said bluntly.

     ''He's my best friend, Calypso. What if Sirius started ignoring you for no reason?'' Lily asked. Calypso gave her a weary look. ''You'd forgive him.''

     "Sirius would never do that because he knows I'd hex him into next week if he did." Calypso said. "But have you seen the people Snape's surrounding himself with? Mulciber and Avery are probably the most vocal about their problems with Muggleborns or blood traitors. Even Mary said Mulciber's been following her around lately and taunting her. Why would you want to hang out with someone who's okay with having friends like that?''

      ''Don't act like you know him, Calypso. The Severus I became friends with is kind and good. He never deserved to be the target of you and your friends' pranks and he doesn't deserve to be manipulated by people he thinks are his friends into becoming something he isn't.''

      ''Evans, you cannot be this blind. No one is forcing Snape to be friends with Cassian Avery and Soren Mulciber.''

      ''He's surrounded by people like them all the time. Ophelia did the exact same thing to you and you forgave her.'' Calypso narrowed her eyes at Lily when she mentioned her sister.

      ''I may never see my sister again. Meanwhile, Snape is right there so, why don't you go talk to him and see what he has to say? Matter of fact, let's see if he even speaks to you while his friends are around.'' Calypso challenged, gathering her things as she stood from her chair. She could tell Lily wished she hadn't brought up Ophelia, especially when Calypso's family had been a sore subject for her lately. ''And when Snape shows you exactly the person he has become, I'll be in the Ravenclaw Common Room.''

     Calypso walked out of the library, annoyed.

     ''Well, well, well," Gideon Prewett called out when Calypso nearly walked past him in the hallway. A smile formed on her face at the sight of Gideon and his brother. "If it isn't our favorite Ravenclaw."

      Gideon gave her a quick hug while Fabian ruffled the top of her head.

     ''How've you been, little one? Ready for your O.W.L.'s?'' Fabian asked.

     ''Are you ready for your N.E.W.T.'s?'' Calypso asked. Truth be told, Calypso had never been more nervous for something in her life — not even when she was awaiting to be placed in her house or arriving on Hogwarts Express back in first year.