Chapter Sixty-Four

"HEAD BOY?!" Calypso shrieked incredulously as she gripped the piece of parchment in her hand, reading the letter over and over again to make sure she was reading it correctly. There she was, sitting by the window of the master bedroom in Krane Manor where her parents used to stay that she had decorated more to her liking. The rusty orange armchair she had gotten from a store in town was her new favorite addition and she loved lounging in it while Heracles curled up at her feet to watch over her while she read. During this time, Her owl had dove swiftly through the open window and dropped a letter from James on her lap. His handwriting was even more illegible than usual but Calypso was able to make out what he had written.

James Potter was Head Boy.

Head Boy was a title that Calypso thought would surely go to Remus. After all, he had spent the majority of his time at Hogwarts with his nose in a book and desperately seeking academic validation from his teachers. Remus was the hardest working person Calypso knew and James was . . . well, James. Calypso doubted he would've studied for a single test had it not been for her and Remus's constant nagging. He and Sirius had spent most of their years at Hogwarts pranking first years rather than attending classes.

But, Calypso thought, maybe that was exactly why James would be the perfect Head Boy.

From what Calypso learned in his letters, he had done exceptionally well on his end-of-the-year exams since he spent a lot of time studying for them. He stopped spending all of his time messing with Snape or flirting with Lily and devoted his time to things he actually cared about like the Order and becoming a better duelist.

Calypso felt a swell of pride in her chest for her friend, although she couldn't help but be a tad bit disappointed that she hadn't gotten a letter telling her she was Head Girl. Even the quidditch team had made Cassandra their new captain after Calypso's sudden disappearances. She understood why they did it — Cassandra stepped up when Calypso was gone and helped Ravenclaw win the cup — but that didn't mean it sucked any less to have the title she had worked so hard for to be taken away from her in her final year.

The front doorbell echoed loudly throughout the manor and Calypso quickly set James's letter aside to hurry downstairs. Tomorrow she would have to make her way to King's Cross Station and prepare herself for her final year of Hogwarts but today would be Calypso's final meeting with Sybil Trelawney.

          She'd been inviting the Seer over every Sunday afternoon for tea at the Manor so that she could talk to her and listen to what the woman had to say. Mainly the woman had rambled on about what sounded like a very sad sort of future. A period of light followed by darkness, she would always say. Trelawney also spent time helping Calypso with other divination practices — the ones they didn't teach in school because too many wizards believed was rubbish — like lithomancy, divination with stones.

          Calypso greeted Sybil with a warm smile and led her to the drawing room, where Minnie had already prepared tea for them.

           "I'm afraid we won't have much time together today," Sybil said as she slid into the red velvet cushioned chair across from Calypso. A fire that Minnie had put on crackled in the back and the setting of the drawing room with her mother's favorite teacups on a tray in front of her reminded Calypso all too well of her mother. When Rania lived at Krane Manor, the drawing room had always been the place Calypso could find her either entertaining guests from all over the wizarding world with a bright smile on her face or spending her free time with a book or cup of tea in hand. Calypso felt comforted sitting in the room she had previously avoided ever since she started meeting with Trelawney. Sometimes it felt as though her mother's presence was with her, guiding her as she navigated the Sight, but Calypso knew it would never be the same as actually being able to learn from her. Still, she enjoyed this new Seer's company nonetheless. "An unexpected visitor will come knocking before we finish."