Chapter Forty-Four

Calypso spent the next two days after she said good-bye to Ophelia holed up in her bedroom. She would stare out the window and listen to the wind whistle as she thought about her family. She missed the days when they were all together, but she found herself missing her dad. When she thought about him the first thing she'd remember was him using the Cruciatus Curse against her, but then she'd remember all the good memories — the ones she had forgotten about — before the war broke their family apart. She'd remember her father and mother would sit and just talk to each other for hours on end; She'd remember how her father would sit in the library with her by the fireplace on Christmas; She'd remember playing chess with her sister.

     Calypso was glad that the first person to enter the dorm was Dorcas, because she didn't want Alessia or Karina to see her like this (again).

     "Do you want to talk about it?" Dorcas asked, sitting down on the bay window next to Calypso.

    "No." Calypso said. She couldn't tell Dorcas what was troubling her, but she knew Dorcas would understand so she wasn't surprised when Dorcas nodded her head.

     "Then, we can just sit here." Dorcas said. Calypso sighed and placed her head on Dorcas's shoulder. Dorcas wrapped her arm around her and squeezed her shoulder as they sat in silence.

    Calypso walked downstairs into the Ravenclaw common room with Dorcas trailing behind her when she'd had enough of sitting down. To her surprise, James was pacing back and forth with his hand pinching the bridge of his nose. Calypso's eyes widened. With everything that had happened with her sister, she somehow forgot about the kiss. James whirled on her and when she stared into his eyes, she immediately knew he had gotten to Sirius first.

     "You!" James shouted, pointing a finger at her. A few other Ravenclaws turned their heads out of curiosity. Calypso winced as James marched over to her and grabbed her wrist. "Come with me now."

    Calypso swallowed nervously when James yanked her out of the common room and pulled her into the hallway.

     "Sirius told you about the kiss, then?" Calypso asked. James's face turned ghostly pale and his jaw dropped to the floor. He blinked slowly at Calypso, stunned.

     "Kiss? What kiss? What are you talking about?" James asked. "Is that why Sirius is so upset? You and him kissed? YOU KISSED?"

     "Keep your voice down!" Calypso hushed. "I'm confused. I thought you came here because Sirius told you."

    "I came here because Sirius was moping around the dorm and I figured you two just fought or something. I left Remus and Peter with him to try to cheer up, so that I could tell you two to get over it, but whoa . . . I can't believe you guys kissed." James said, dazed.

     "I know, it was completely unexpected —"

     "Unexpected?" James laughed. He patted the top of Calypso's head as though she were a child. "Oh, Calypso. Poor little blind Calypso."

     Calypso frowned.

    "What is that supposed to mean exactly?" Calypso huffed.

    "It means that Peter and I have only been waiting for you two to get together for years now — Pete's gonna die when I tell him. We've been placing bets on when it would happen, so Pete owes me thirty galleons."

     "James!" Calypso hit him on the shoulder.

     He punched her back.

    "Calypso!" He mocked. She glared at him. "Don't give me that look! You two were obviously made for each other, even Marlene knew it."