Prolouge

Calypso Krane would never forget the moment she first received her acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A barn owl flew down the chimney of the fireplace at Krane Manor and dropped the letter in her lap. She wasted no time in tearing the letter open and marveling over its contents, even though she already knew what it would say:

Dear Ms. Krane,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

           Calypso had the letter framed and placed above her bed. Every night leading up to her departure, she would read the contents of the letter and marveled in wonder at what would come from her years at the school.

           Her mother, Rania Krane, was a proud Ravenclaw and, like Calypso's father, a previous student of the school. Rania was ecstatic for her daughter to enjoy her years at school, no matter what house she was sorted into. Her father, Icarus Krane, had a much different vision for the direction their daughter would go in. Despite marrying a Ravenclaw, he wanted Calypso to be placed in Slytherin. She was pureblood and a Krane, and to her father that meant she belonged in Slytherin.

          Calypso's older sister, Ophelia, would be going into her third year at Hogwarts by the time Calypso received her letter. The pair were close and Calypso knew Ophelia had been sorted into Slytherin, so Calypso figured Slytherin was the house to be in, although her mother told her otherwise. Rania Krane explained to her daughter that no matter what house she got in, she could never disappoint her.

         Ophelia didn't share the same sentiments. Calypso always thought Ophelia had been a bit brainwashed by their father into believing that houses mattered.

         "You're going to love it in Slytherin," Ophelia gushed as Calypso pushed her cart through King's Cross Station. Her owl, Mercury, flapped his wings wildly. "It's where all the best people are. Ready?"

         They had approached the brick wall. Calypso looked up at her sister with a wide smile stretching across her face and said, "Ready."

         The moment Calypso set foot on Platform 9 3/4, anxious butterflies erupted in her stomach. All around her, other students were rushing around with their families to board the train. She recognized a few faces here and there — Narcissa Black swatting her father's hands as he reached to adjust her collar; Cordelia Rosier giving her brother, Evan, a squeeze on the shoulder; and Barnabas Greengrass looking annoyed when his father, Grim, scolded him for something.

        But, the thing that excited Calypso the most were the unfamiliar faces. She had never had the opportunity to go off and make friends on her own before. Her parents mainly associated with families like the Greengrass's, the Rosier's, and Ophelia was good friends with Narcissa, despite the age difference. Calypso felt like she was stepping into a whole new world and that possibilities of what could happen were endless.

        She turned to look back at her parents, smiling brightly. Icarus stood a good distance away from Rania with a dark and unpleasant look on his face. He gave Calypso a clap on the shoulder and said,

         "The Sorting Hat will put you in Slytherin if you ask." He said. Calypso looked over at Ophelia and she nodded her head in agreement. Rania glared at the side of Icarus's head.