Chapter Twenty-Seven

"This is the best sandwich I have had in my entire life," Zig moaned as he bit into his breakfast sandwich at Fraser's mum's Deli. Calypso had to nod her head in agreement because her mouth was full with her egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich. "Fraser, tell your Mum I love her."

       "She hates you." Fraser chuckled. Zig waved his hand dismissively.

       "Why does she hate you?" Karma asked. Calypso picked up her cup of coffee and downed the rest of it while they all ate together. Nancy chuckled into her cup.

        "She thinks Zig's a bad influence." Fraser said.

        "Oh, yeah, he looks really bad." Karma laughed. They all turned to Ziggy while he colored on the coloring mat that was placed on the table for children. "So, what's the plan for today?"

      "We need to practice for the party tonight, but we want the set to be a surprise so you guys could walk around town or hang out at my house." Aerin offered. Calypso saw Nancy, Fraser, and Zig exchange looks with one another that she ignored.

      "What are you playing?" Calypso asked.

       "A few covers and one or two originals." Aerin shrugged nonchalantly. Calypso narrowed her eyes slightly when she noticed the blush creeping onto Aerin's cheeks.

          After breakfast, she and Karma were dropped off at Aerin's house and left to their own devices. Calypso was surprised when Sirius's owl flew into the guest room because she told him she would be spending a few days at Aerin's in her letters. She took the parchment from his owl while it pecked at her hand until Karma handed her something to feed him.

        "Who's that from?" Karma asked.

       "Sirius." Calypso said, unrolling the parchment.

Dear Cal,

I know you're spending time with Aerin but it felt weird to not write to you for two days. I hope you're having fun there because I'm bored out of my mind in this house. Walburga's locked me in my room for a few days, so I need someone to talk to. What have you been doing? Write back soon please and tell me everything.

From,
Sirius

       "What's he saying?" Karma asked. "Is everything okay?"

      "Yeah," Calypso chuckled. She grabbed a fresh piece of parchment and the quill Sirius bought her. "Sirius and I write to each other every day when we're on break from school, so he's finding it weird that we haven't been able to write."

       Karma looked at Calypso curiously.

       "Have you and Sirius ever . . . I mean, has there ever been something between you two?" Karma asked. Calypso's eyes widened and she turned to face Karma.

       "What? No. No!" Calypso shook her head rapidly. "I may have liked him a few years ago, but that was one-sided and it's over now. Sirius and I are just . . . we're close. He's my best friend."

       "But you like Aerin now, right? I'm only asking because he seems like a really great guy who likes you a lot. I just don't want you to get wrapped up in something messy and complicated."

         "Karma, I'd never even entertain something with someone if I had feelings for another person. Messy and complicated isn't something that I do. When I say my feelings for Sirius are long over and that he doesn't have any feelings for me, I mean that." Calypso said.

         She knew this was the truth for her. She didn't have feelings for Sirius, but she also knew that Sirius was always going to be a part of her life no matter what. Even if she and Aerin didn't last forever, she knew she and Sirius had a relationship strong enough that they could survive anything.