Chapter Thirty-Seven

James was the one who proposed the idea for the five of them to sneak out to Hogsmeade to try and cheer Calypso. Calypso was grateful for the boys' efforts because they had really gone out of their way to put a smile on her face the last few weeks. Their method was very different from the girls', who had been happily putting up with Calypso's methods of distracting herself from the fact that she felt like everything was falling apart. Lately, she'd been putting all of her time into learning how to crochet and she was actually getting quite good, she thought. Sirius was currently sporting a sweater she had made for him while James wore a purple and green hat on his head. She made Peter a pair of gloves that only had four fingers while Remus got a lovely orange and yellow scarf. Each of the boys wore their items as they made their way to the Three Broomsticks after sneaking out of the school.

     ''Talon, hurry it up! We haven't got all day!'' James shouted at her when she lagged behind. She quickened her pace and made her way through the door that Sirius had been holding open for her. 

      ''I'll go get the butterbeers.'' Peter said once they sat down at one of the tables. Sirius and James began talking about Transfigurations (which they were currently missing) and Remus fiddled with his thumbs absentmindedly.

      ''What's wrong, Moony?'' Calypso asked, noticing that he was distracted.

     ''Nothing. I'm just thinking about . . ." Remus trailed off before shaking his head.

     "About Karma?" James asked innocently. Remus glared at him. "What? It's not like we all don't know you're madly in love with her."

     "I'm not madly in love with her." Remus scoffed. "I just find her to be really nice . . . and a great friend —"

    "Right, friend." Calypso teased. She, James, and Sirius chuckled when Remus's cheeks turned bright red and Peter came rushing back to the table with five butterbeers in his arms.

    They spent the next few hours in Hogsmeade until they decided to make their way back to the castle. On the way, James and Sirius devised plans for their next prank on a group of unsuspecting first years. They had only walked through the entrance hall Professor McGonagall's voice echoed behind them.

      ''How nice of you all to return to the castle.'' She said to the Marauders. They all let out loud groans at getting caught. ''Detention for one week and five points from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw each.''

     ''Minnie, please.'' Sirius pleaded. Calypso almost thought it looked like Professor McGonagall was fighting a smile.

     ''You all left the castle, which is strictly prohibited, and I can tell that you all are up to no good.'' Professor McGonagall said, ''Mister Black, care to tell me what you think you're doing?''

       Sirius hid the rat tails they were going to use to for the prank behind his back before raising his right hand and jokingly saying, 

      ''I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.'' 

        Calypso felt as though a light bulb went off in her head as Professor McGonagall gave Sirius extra detention for his 'smart mouth'. She turned to James to find him already staring at her and she could tell he was thinking the exact same thing.

      "Why are you two looking at each other like that?" Remus asked them once Professor McGonagall disappeared down the hall.

      ''C'mon!'' Calypso exclaimed, grabbing Sirius and Peter's hands and pulling them in the direction of the Gryffindor common room while James and Remus followed suit. James said the password and the Fat Lady let them in.