Chapter Forty-One

"Who are you inviting to the ball?" Dorcas asked, saddling up beside Calypso during their double Herbology lesson with Professor Sprout the Tuesday before Easter break. Professor Sprout was too busy describing what Belladonna was to notice that most of the class was either too distracted with thoughts of Slughorn's Easter Ball for the Slug Club or too busy goofing off in the back (James and Sirius), though Calypso did her best to take notes while her Professor taught until Dorcas came up to her. "I'm not a member of Slug Club, so I'll have to live vicariously through you on this one."

"I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll take you." Calypso shrugged.

"Don't get my hopes up, Cal." Dorcas said in a warning tone. "Lily's lucky. Slughorn loves her so much that he invites her to these things without her having to come from some famous family."

"I have an idea!" Lily said suddenly, turning to Dorcas and Calypso. "What if I invited Marlene and Calypso invited Dorcas, so Dorcas and Marlene could both go together?"

"All right! Let's do that." Calypso nodded eagerly. Dorcas's eyes widened and she threw her arms around the two girls.

"I love you girls! I'm going to go tell Marlene." Dorcas said excitedly before running off to where Marlene was currently speaking to Emmeline.

"I'm surprised you didn't invite Sirius." Lily said once Dorcas was out of earshot. Calypso furrowed her brows out of confusion as she turned to her friend.

"What do you mean?"

"Only that I assumed you'd bring him and James would bring either Peter or Remus." Lily shrugged. "Do you have your dress picked out?"

"My grandmum got one for me." Calypso said, thinking about the dress that was tucked neatly away in the trunk at the foot of her bed while Professor Sprout snapped at James and Sirius to pay attention.

When the period ended, Calypso gathered her things and walked out of the classroom. Double Herbology was followed by Double Potions on Tuesdays, so she and Dorcas would walk to class together. While she waited for Dorcas to come out of the greenhouse, Sirius exited the classroom with James, Remus, and Peter following behind him. Sirius mumbled something to the boys and broke away from them to stand beside Calypso.

"Shouldn't you be getting to Charms?" Calypso asked. Sirius shrugged.

"I wanted to talk to you," Sirius said. Calypso narrowed her eyes when she noticed something was off.  Sirius's cheeks were turning the faintest shade of pink and there was a bit of embarrassment shining in his eyes. "I've decided to stay at the castle over Easter break."

"Really?" Calypso asked, surprised. "Why? You never stay here."

"Well, I didn't want you to be alone for Easter." Sirius rocked back and forth on his heels and cast his gaze down to the ground.

"What'd your mum say? I don't want you to get in trouble because of me."

"I guess I wrote to her when she wasn't in one of her moods because she said she was fine with me staying." Sirius smiled. "It looks like you'll be stuck with just me for two whole weeks, Talon."

Sirius poked her cheek playfully and she swatted his hand away from her face, but a part of her was glad for the company, especially if it was Sirius's.

"So . . ." Sirius looked nervous again as more and more students piled out of the greenhouses.  "Who are you taking to Slughorn's Easter Ball?"

"Er — Dorcas!" Calypso called out when she caught sight of the girl stepping out of the classroom, looking around for Calypso. Dorcas walked over to them and Calypso turned back to Sirius. "I'm taking Dorcas to the ball."