Chapter Forty-Three

Calypso held a note from Dumbledore in her hand while Sirius bobbed his head to music that played from the record player in the Ravenclaw common room. Easter had rolled around and there was to be a feast in the Great Hall for dinner, but Calypso found a note sitting on her bed when she returned to Ravenclaw Tower after another afternoon of swimming in the lake with Sirius. Dumbledore wrote to tell her to meet in his office that night and she instantly knew she would be seeing Ophelia, who she hadn't seen in months.

    Calypso folded the note and stuffed it into her pocket when Sirius turned to her with a wide grin on his face. They'd spent practically every waking moment together ever since break started. Every night, they'd sleep in front of the fire before waking up and spending the whole day swimming or exploring the castle or just talking about anything and everything. 

     "What's wrong with you?" Calypso chuckled when she saw the expression on Sirius's face. Sirius held his hand out to her.

    "Dance with me." He said, his brown eyes shining brightly when he looked at her. Calypso smiled and slid her hand into his. Sirius helped her up from the couch before he spun her around. Calypso laughed when Sirius twirled her around and sang the lyrics of the song. "I'm so in love with you and whatever you want to do is all right with me."

     Sirius pulled Calypso back to him after spinning her again and she smiled as she looked at him, feeling similar to how she felt when they danced together at the Easter Ball.

    "'Cause you make me feel so brand new and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Sirius smiled softly while he looked at Calypso.

     Calypso wasn't sure when it happened, but somehow, she and Sirius were a hair away from each other. Her breath caught in her throat as he stared at her with a look that made her nervous and slightly excited. Sirius moved closer to her and she could see the hesitation in his eyes. He swallowed nervously before he dropped his gaze to her lips, asking for permission to do something Calypso never thought he would even want to do.

     She thought about all of the reasons she should pull away from him and snap them out of whatever trance they were in. She thought about what it would mean for their friendship and what could happen. What would James say if he found his two best friends kissed? What would Peter and Remus do? How would this affect their friendship? The questions and scenarios Calypso imagined in her head were endless.

     But, for a split second, she had what she liked to call her "moment of weakness" where she would do something she knew could have potentially disastrous consequences.

    She didn't know who moved first (She had a feeling it was her), but one moment she was watching Sirius second guess whether or not he should make a move and the next, she was kissing him. The moment she kissed him for the first time, she felt an exhilarating rush course throughout her entire body. The first kiss was short, but she knew it was the kiss. It was the kiss that made every other kiss seem meaningless and small in comparison.

     She and Sirius pulled away from each other and opened their eyes to stare at each other. Their eyes were wide from the shock and they were breathing heavily like they had just run a marathon.

    "Sirius, I —"

     Whatever Calypso was going to say was cut off because Sirius brought his hand to the back of her neck and brought her back to him. She closed her eyes and leaned into the kiss, running her hand through the soft strands of his dark hair. He brought her so close to him that she could feel her entire body curve into him, leaving no space between them.