5

[Sofia's POV]
I woke up in the middle of the night, not necessarily of a nightmare. It was more like a flashback, of Andrea.

Flashback
It was the day of my ninth birthday, I still didn't know how to ride a bike but Andrea had promised me he would teach me. As I opened the last present a smile grew big on my face, He had gotten me a bike.

"Thank you Andrea, Ti amo" I said.

"Let's go outside and try it" he said and smiled.

I grabbed my helmet which my mother had forced me in to wearing if I was going to ride the bike.

Carina stood by the sidewalk watching me slowly make my way up on the bike while Andrea held I'm to it so I wouldn't fall off.

"I'll be right next to you all the way" he said and smiled.

I started pedaling the bike and it went well, until I got to a curb.
I crashed the bike and landed on my knees.
I saw the blood forming on the smaller wound I got.
Andrea and Carina both jogged over to me.

"Are you okay?" Carina asked.

"Yes I'm fine" I said.

"Wanna go again?" He asked.

"Absolutely" I said.

"Alright let's go" he said and smiled.

The whole day was amazing, Carina and Andrea was with me all day since our mother had work and dad, well he was somewhere else.

End of flashback

That's where everything started going downhill for our family, our beloved mother died and our father got worse. He wouldn't come home at night or he would forget to pick me up at school and his moods got worse and worse. I learnt when and when not to ask anything, god knows what he would've done if I asked him something and he had a bad day.

I hate that I didn't get to say goodbye to my brother, not that it would've made my grief easier but it would've felt better to know that I saw him one last time.

I quickly wiped away the tears that I did not even notice had fallen down my face.

As I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt I walked in to the kitchen trying to not make any sounds. I made coffee and sat down by the couch.

Scrolling thru my phone I noticed a message from my father.

'Why didn't you buy new groceries' he had sent.

I couldn't help but almost laugh at his message, his daughter had just taken a plane by herself because of his behavior and he's asking why I didn't buy new groceries.

As the time passed and the sun was almost up again I decided on just trying to sleep on the couch. I put my phone on the table and pulled the blanket over me.

[Carina's POV]

I felt Maya sneak her hands around my waist, I could feel her warmth and I did not want to get out of bed to go to work.

"Babe, when do you have to leave?" She asked.

"In half an hour" I said and sighed.

"If you want you can take a shower while I make us breakfast" She said.

I smiled and turned around, Maya was always so thoughtful.

"That would be really nice actually" I said and kissed her.

I pulled of the covers and walked in to the bathroom. I took of my clothes and the cold air immediately hit my skin making me get goosebumps. I set the water on really warm so I could get warmed up.

As I finished my shower and got dressed Maya walked in to the bedroom.
"I think she slept on the couch" she whispered quietly.

"Why?" I asked.

"There's a coffee cup on the table and I can clearly see the small bags under her eyes" Maya said.

"I'll talk to her about it, she's coming with me to the hospital today" I said.

"That's good, let's go eat breakfast" Maya said.

Maya put the toasts on plates and poured the coffee in the cups while I made my way over to the couch.

I pulled Sofia's hair out of her face, her eyes fluttered open. She couldn't have been sleeping for so long if she woke up that easily I thought.

"Maya made breakfast" I said, choosing not to mention anything right now.

She nodded and followed me to the kitchen.

"Good morning" Maya said to Sofia.

"Morning" she answered back.

"I was thinking you could come with me to the hospital today, you can meet some of our friends there" I said.

"Why?" She answered.

"Because they want to meet you and I think it will be good for you to meet other people" I said gently.

"You know I don't like talking to people" she said quietly.

"I know that bambina but no one will make a comment about it I promise" I said.

"I'm sorry am I missing something?" Maya asked.

"Don't" Sofia said and looked at me.

"It's better if I just say it it's nothing bad" I said.

"Only to her then" she said.

"Well Maya as you notice Sofia has a very strong Italian accent and some people don't understand what she's saying when she's pronouncing the words. It may be hard for her to find the right words as it was only me who helped her learn English, she doesn't like speaking to new people because they seem to like to make comments about her accent" I said.

I looked at Sofia, she was blushing madly and looked down at her toast.

"Your new to the language you can't expect everyone to know the language perfectly, Your trying and that's what matters, if anyone makes a comment about it just ignore it because your better then them" Maya said and looked at Sofia.

"Thank you" Sofia said and looked at Maya.

"I have one surgery scheduled in the morning but then it's only paperwork, you could either sit in the attending lounge while I'm in surgery or you could sit in the cafeteria" I told her.

"Okay" she said.

We finished our breakfast and I changed in to my work clothes.