37

[Maya's POV]
I let Carina drive home since I was too worked up to even think straight. I haven't seen my brother since I moved out, both of us just went separate ways and- well he fell a little of track and we just didn't talk to each other so much. He doesn't know about Carina Sofia or Enzo. First of all I will have to figure out how to help him, I don't know how severe his injuries are we might need to go in to the hospital. Why does my father have to mess everything up? Mason never ever did something wrong when we grew up, he was the sweetest kid ever but he never even got praised once by dad. It was like he was invisible and like dad had already decided that he would be a disappointment and Mason didn't get a chance to prove him wrong.

"You take the kids inside the apartment while I help him, maybe put on a movie in our bedroom so they won't be freaked out" I said as we stepped out of the car.

I grabbed the first aid kit from the car then made my way up to the apartment, Carina walked inside while I looked for Mason. He said he was here but I can't seem to find him.

"Mason? Are you here" I asked.

"Maya" I heard a faint voice call out.

I localized where the voice was coming from, behind the elevator door. Just by the first look I took at Mason I could tell it did not look good. His lip was busted and his eye already starting to swell up.
Nose bleeding and blood dripping out of his mouth.

"Okay okay, I'm going to clean this first with some antibacterial liquid" I said.

"It's going to sting badly" I added.

He nodded and closed his eyes.
He moaned in pain as I put the liquid on his cuts and wounds, I tried to be as gentle as possible but I still had to make it clean so it wouldn't get infected.

"Can you tell me exactly what happened?"

"He-he called me and said he wanted to catch up, then all of the sudden he just got really angry at me and threw the plates on the walls and started to hit me" he rambled really fast.

"Did you say something to make him angry with you? You got to tell me everything so I can help you Mason" I said.

"I-I talked about you" he said.

"What? Why would he be mad about that" I asked confused.

"I-I said I was proud of you for finding a girlfriend and stoped running for his sake and you instead started running for your own sake" he said quietly.

All my anger boiled up inside me, he was trying to protect me and my father treated him like this? Who does he think he is, he's going to pay for his actions.

"I'm sorry Mason" I said sincerely.

"Don't be, he never loved me anyways"

"He always thought I was a loser" he said.

"He's going to pay for this okay? We are going to court with this. We are not going to let him treat either of us like this anymore, you hear me?" I said.

"Yeah, yeah I hear you" he said.

"Good now let's get you inside so Carina can stitch you up" I said.

I picked him up, he leaned on me as I helped him lay down on the couch. Carina approached us, shocked expression on her face as she saw the state Mason was in.

"Can you stitch him up?" I asked.

"Yeah of course, I only have general anesthesia" she said.

"It's fine, I'll be okay" Mason said and turned his head away.

I held his hand as carina stitched up his busted lip.
After the three stitches were done I put the aid kit away and sat down next to him.

"Thank you Carina, that was really nice of you and I'm sorry to bother you" Mason said.

"You didn't bother me, I'm glad I could help" Carina answered and joined us on the couch.

"Where's Enzo and Sofia?" I asked.

"Both of them are napping in our room. They must've been pretty tired from being at the beach all day" she said.

"Yeah" I said.

"You have kids?" Mason said surprised.

"We do, we are fostering Enzo he is four years old. Then there's Sofia, she's Carina's little sister she's fourteen years old" I said.

"I'm proud of you sis" He admitted.

"I'm proud of you to Mason" I said.

"Are you married?" He asked.

"We are engaged, Maya proposed to me so now we're deciding a date for the wedding to take place in" Carina answered.

"Wow, that's amazing" he said.

"Your going to be there right?" I asked.

"Yeah of course, if that's okay with Carina" he said.

"That's completely fine" Carina said.

"I guess I need to go now" Mason said and stood up.

"No no no, you are not going anywhere. You need to stay here at least until tomorrow so I can be completely sure that you will be okay" Carina said sternly to Mason which made me chuckle a little bit.

"Don't mess with her temper" I joked which earned a glare from Carina.

"I don't want to intrude, you have your kids here" he said.

"They'll be fine, and we need to have a chat" I said.

"Now?" He asked.

"That's probably for the best yes" I said.

We walked in to my gym, I wouldn't call it a gym but it has a treadmill and weights.

"You do want to take this to the police right?" I asked.

"I don't know Maya, maybe it's just for the best to leave it alone" he said.

"But he's always been treating you like shit, aren't you tired of it?" I asked.

"Of course I'm tired of it, I'm exhausted even. That's why I don't want to take this to the police. I just want to drop it and move on with my life, at least now I know who he really is" he said.

"But if he does something to you again, we are taking this to the police. Deal?" I said.

"Deal, promise" he said.

I heard small footsteps coming from down the hall.

"Maya" Enzo called out.

"I'm here buddy" I said.

He walked in to the room but looked very hesitant when he saw Mason.

"This is my younger brother Mason, Mason this is Enzo" I introduced them.

"Hi" Enzo waved.

"Hi there Enzo, what's that guys name?" Mason asked, referring to the teddy bear stuck under Enzo's arm.

"Fluffy" Enzo said and held out the bear.

"That's a good name" Mason said and smiled.

"Carina said you were taking a nap, are you not tired anymore?" I asked him.

"No, hugs from you" he said and smiled widely.

"Let's go over to the couch and cuddle then" I said knowing that he was still tired, he just didn't want to be alone.