36

[Carina's POV]
We decided on going to the beach today since the weather is so nice, I've packed down the sunscreen a blanket and some lunch for us.
It will be good for us to do something as a family all for of us. I walked in to Enzo's room to get him dressed.
He were sleeping with his teddy bear tucked under his arm, his grey fluffy blanket wrapped around him.

"Buddy, it's time to get up now" I said gently.

"Already?" He asked tiredly.

"Yeah, we're going to the beach today so you need to get your swim trunks on" I said.

He made his way out of bed, I handed him the swim trunks which he put on.

"What T-shirt do you want?"

"This?" He asked pointing towards Maya's fire academy shirt.

"I think that's a little bit too big on you bambino, maybe this instead" I said and held out a red T-shirt.

"Okay" he said disappointedly.

"You know what, it doesn't matter. You can wear it" I said and helped him put it on.
Not being able to stand his sad blue eyes looking at me with disappointment.

"Juice?" He asked as I put him down on his chair in the kitchen.

"You can have some juice buddy but you need to eat something too" I told him.

"Fruit?" He smiled.

"Yeah, here you go" I said as I handed him a plate with strawberries and mango. Knowing that he hates to eat breakfast he did pretty well decided what he wanted to eat on his own, I had packed a lunch that I know he will like so that will make it up for the smaller breakfast he had.

[Maya's POV]
Walking in to the kitchen with Sofia I instantly saw Enzo with my fire academy T-shirt, it made me smile so widely.

"Look at you Enzo, your going to be a future firefighter" I said excitedly.

"Yes! Like you" he told me.

"Yes like me, are you excited to go to the beach?" I asked.

"Never been there" he admitted.

"Then I'm sure we will have lots and lots of fun" I said, trying to hide the fact that he had never even been at the beach which made me feel sad.

"Is everything packed and ready?" I asked Carina as we put on our shoes.

"Yeah I took everything we would need, maybe we should bring some extra water bottles" she said.

"Yeah that's good, it'll be hot out today so we don't want to become dehydrated" I said.

Carina grabbed two extra water bottles, I grabbed the backpack with all of our stuff.
Glancing over to Enzo and Sofia I could see her trying to teach him how to tie his shoes, it didn't look that promising but it was a nice gesture from Sofia.

"You do it" I heard Enzo say, clearly pretty frustrated.
I chuckled at his impatience.

We made out way to the beach, I parked the car a little bit further away because there were no free parking lots to park in. Sofia had picked up Enzo so she was giving him a piggyback ride to the beach.
"Is this good?" I asked as we stoped at the beach.
Carina nodded so I put down our stuff.

"Enzo you need sunscreen" I told him as I saw him trying to run away from us with Sofia.

He ran back to me and took his T-shirt off, I put some sunscreen on my hands and gently rubbed it in on his skin. When he first came to us a couple of weeks ago he was very underweight, it's not as bad now which is great because it means his health is improving.

"Close your eyes" I said.
He did as I told him, I put on sunscreen carefully on his face.

"All done?" He asked.

"Yes, all done"

"I'll be with you soon but in the meantime I want you to stick with Sofia okay? It's dangerous to be too close to the water alone" I said seriously.

"I promise Maya" he smiled.

I watched as he ran away with Sofia.

"Sofia is amazing with him, she makes him so happy" I said.

"Yeah she really is, I think she's very protective of him in a good way" Carina said.

"Do you want to go in the water with him? Or should I?" I asked.

"I'm not going in there" she laughed.

I made my way over to Sofia and Enzo, they were standing by the water playing with his beach toys.

"Wanna go in the water with me?" I asked him.

"Scary" he admitted.

"I won't let you go I promise, I'll hold you"I said.

"Okay Maya" he said as I picked him up. Sofia went back over to Carina to keep her company.
I walked in to the water, not too far tho.

Enzo looked a little hesitant at first but the he really enjoyed playing with the water, and splashing some on me of course.

"Don't let go" He let out quietly as a wave splashed a little on us.

"I won't let you go bubba, I've got you" I said.

"Maya" he said.

"I'm all yours buddy" I reassured him as we started making our way back to Carina and Sofia.
He wrapped a towel around himself as we sat down on the blanket, Carina took out the snacks for us and the water bottles.

"Here you go" Carina handed him a couple of goldfish crackers along with an apple that she had cut in to smaller bite sizes.

"Can I have some water?" Sofia asked.

"Of course, here you go" I handed her the bottle.

"Wanna make a sandcastle?" Sofia asked Enzo.

"Yes!" He said excitedly, completely forgetting about his snack time.

"Buddy, you gotta eat up all of your fruits first okay" I said.

"Okay" he agreed.

After he finished eating they both went to start building their sandcastle, I took pictures of them until my phone started going off.

*phone call*

"Hello?" I asked.

"M-Maya? Is that you?" A man voice said.

"Who is this?"

"Mason, your brother and I-I really need your help" he said clearly out of breath.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I-I got in a fight with dad and he Uhm"

"He beat me up pretty bad" he said, I could clearly hear him trying to stop himself from crying.

"Where are you? Can you text me your address?" I asked.

"I'm outside your apartment, I-I didn't know where to go I'm so sorry Maya" he said.

"No no no don't apologize, I'll be here as fast as I can" I said.

*phone call ended*

I hurried back to our stuff and started packing everything so we could leave quickly.

"Maya? Maya what's going on" Carina questioned.

"It's Uh I-I we have to hurry" I said.

"Tell me what's going on" she pleaded.

"It's my brother" I said and packed up the last of the things. Carina didn't ask any further questions she just grabbed Enzo as we hurried back to the car and drove to the apartment.