43

[Sofia's POV]
I opened the letter, tears immediately filling my eyes as I started reading the first lines.

To my beautiful daughter

It's been fifteen years since Mama and I first learned that you were coming. We were newly minted doctors, ready to face the world. I must admit that the timing was a bit unexpected, but we knew that it was inevitable and is certainly most welcome. I have loved your Mama for over ten summers before that and we knew that your coming birth was a culmination of that love between us that we nurtured with care.

You know I love and cherish you. While you were still in your mom's womb, I sung lullabies to you so you would know my voice. I can still feel your trusting body on my shoulder when, as an infant, you abandoned yourself in my arms in a peaceful slumber. Your little hands are still holding tightly to my pinkies as you were taking your first steps. You are, in my mind, the toddler running to the door joyfully crying "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy" when I came home after a long journey.

I am sorry for all the pain that I have cost you, for every hurtful word I have ever said to you. I am sorry for how i acted after your mama died, I am sorry for never being the father that you needed, I am sorry for not being enough after your mama died. For not letting you be sad, because I made you put your feelings aside. For that, I am deeply sorry.

After the year I spent in prison for what I did really made me think. I want to be the father that I never was to you, I want to make up for the time that I destroyed and for every milestone I missed. I want to be you father.

I can take you back to Italy, I can take you back where you belong. You don't belong here in America, Sofie, you need to be in Italy where your culture is. Where your family is.

Ps. There is something else in the envelope.

I'm sorry, please forgive me.

Love, papa

I folded the letter together again, wiping my tears away before I found a necklace in the envelope. I noticed the letter L on the silver chain, it was my mamas.

It felt like every emotion I have held in just exploded, tears just ran down my face and I couldn't stop it. Why now, what did he think this was going to do.

Did he think that this was going to solve everything he ever did?

"Aaaargh" I screamed, throwing the my book against the wall.

"Sofia! What are you doing in here?" Carina opened my door and I couldn't really tell if she was angry or scared.

"Go away"

"I'm not going to go away, there's clearly something bothering you. And you know better than to throw things if you are angry or upset" she said.

I could see Enzo peeking his head inside my room, looking for Carina probably.

"That's your call" I faked a smile, and referred to Enzo.

"What is going on with you? You have this attitude day in and day out! I won't tolerate this anymore, you are not going to the football game tomorrow and hand me your phone!" She said sternly.

"We'll go ahead then, since you care so much" I mumbled, handing her my phone.

She closed the door on her way out, taking Enzo with the her. Maybe I should give my dad a second chance, who knows, maybe he has changed.

[Maya's POV]

As soon as I heard the door slam shut and Carina appeared with Enzo in the bedroom I noticed her mood had changed. She sighed in frustration.

"Let me help him get ready for bed, you can go do something else" I offered, not wanting her to take her anger out on our little guy.

"You know what, I'm so sick of her attitude, I'm going to have a conversation with her" she spoke.

"Believe me, having a conversation when you are this upset is not going to solve anything Carina. Just go downstairs and watch a movie or something while I help Enzo" I instructed, watching as she took a deep breath and then made her way downstairs.

"Is mama mad?" Enzo asked, being a little nervous.

"No, she's just feeling some really big emotions right now and she needs to take a deep breath and calm down a little bit, okay?" I explained.

"Okay momma" he nodded.

I helped him change in to his pajamas, guiding him in to his room and I tucked him in so he could fall asleep. I laid his fluffy blanket on him in case he got cold.

"Sleep tight bud" I kissed him Goodnight before I left his room, leaving his night light on.

Since Carina hadn't gotten back to our bedroom I decided that I would go talk to Sofia. Knowing that I was calm and I just wanted to hear her side of the story.

"Can I come in?" I knocked on her door gently.

I heard a faint 'yes' so I opened the door and made my way over to her bed where she was laying with her head pushed in to her pillow.

"How are you feeling?"

"Aren't you angry with me, like Carina is?" She asked, ignoring my question.

"No I'm not, i am just wondering how you feel. You know you haven't been acting like this before so I'm just a little bit worried about you" I expressed.

"You don't have to worry about me Maya, I'm all good" she smiled half heartedly.

"Well, are you looking forward to the football game tomorrow night?"

"Carina said I'm not allowed to go, she took my phone" she admitted.

"Let me go talk to her, maybe I can change her mind and if you feel like you need someone to talk to, I'm here" I let her know, telling her Goodnight before I left her room.

I made my way downstairs to where Carina was sat in the couch, I don't even think she was watching anything on the Tv, she was just thinking.

"Is she okay?" Carina asked.

"Right now I think she is a little bit upset, you were pretty harsh with her" I admitted.

"I know but I don't understand why she suddenly is acting out and gave this attitude all the time, she just to be the bubbly happy kid, not like this" she said.

"We'll figure it out, if something is wrong I'm sure she will come to us and talk about it. But I think we should be a little more easy on her" I said.

"I agree, Maya" she nodded.

A/N

Who do you want to find out about Sofia's self harm and why? Anything you want to see?

How do you feel about the letter?