Chapter 48

Wednesday morning came and Elle sat on the chair beside her Dad's bed, watching his chest rise and fall as he took deep breaths. Chris had convinced Mary, Nathan, and Jackson to go get food in the cafeteria on the bottom floor meanwhile Remus had gone home for the night, needing a good night's rest in an actual bed in the promise he would return the next day.

Elle let her thoughts wander about her Dad, and all the good memories the two had before she felt herself starting to tear up at the thought of ever losing him. Even though the healers said they thought he was on the right path to healing and waking up, it was still a scary thought for her to think 'what if he didn't'.

Elle was zoning out until she heard a light knock on the door to see Luke was standing in the hallway, peering in. She sent him a small smile as she raised her hand to usher him in. He slowly entered the room as she stood to give him a hug.

"How are you doing?" Luke asked, wrapping his arms around the blonde.

"I'm fine..."

"How's Ben?"

"I don't know... the same he has been I guess." Elle shrugged, taking her seat once again as he sat beside her.

"What are the healers saying? Bens a tough guy... he will be okay." Luke tried to reassure her as he gently took her hand in his, giving it a light squeeze as they watched Ben.

"They are saying he is getting better but it doesn't look like it." Elle quietly told him as he only nodded, not knowing what to say.

"Where's the rest of your family?" Luke asked.

"In the cafeteria. Remus is at home for the night." Elle told him, "How are the girls? I miss them."

"They miss you too, wanted me to tell you they say hi. They would have come by but their parents wouldn't let them leave Hogwarts, but they send their love. It's weird having George and Fred back without you and Jackson, they are both like lost puppies." Luke laughed as Elle let out a giggle.

"Oh, I bet... how's Fred holding up? I've been... distant since my Dad's accident." Elle huffed out.

"He understands Ellie... he knows you are just going through a rough time." Luke reassured her.

"I hope so... he's still sleeping in your dorm." Luke told her as she let out a giggle.

"I'm not surprised..."

"It does seem like both of yours dorm." Luke nodded, "Just a heads up that Cedric and Dylan said they might be coming to visit later... Ian wanted to come but Snape has it out for him, he has had detention every day this week."

"What did he do?" Elle asked, knowing that Ian could be mischievous.

"He flooded Snape's classroom, courtesy of an idea from Fred and George." Luke told her.

"Of course he did." Elle laughed, one of her first genuine laughs since her Dad's accident.

After almost an hour, Luke had to excuse himself to quickly say hi to Jackson before going back to Hogwarts.

"Sorry I have to run, Dumbledore only gave me permission to miss one class. You'll be okay, hm?" Luke asked as she nodded.

"Yeah, of course." Elle nodded, faking a smile.

"Are you sure? Elle, I love you but you look... exhausted." Luke asked as she let out a snort.

"What a polite way of saying I look like shit." Elle laughed out as he shook his head.

"No no, not that, I am just concerned for you." Luke told her as she shrugged.

"It's been a tough week but I'll be fine." Elle told her as she watched him stand.