Chapter 9

Alaya's POV:

Alex stood about 6'1" tall, was medium build with some muscles showing through his shirt, mousy brown hair, green eyes, a sharp face, and had a nose piercing. I hadn't noticed it before, but he was quite attractive.

As Alex and I began to walk, he explained, "So the University consists of two main campus sites the east and the west," gesturing to both buildings, "the east building is where all of the dull classes are taught, whereas the west building is where the creative students go."

"What do you mean all the dull classes are taught in the east building?"

He took a pause before replying. "Oh, you know, that's where you'll find the students that want to go into important professions such as being a lawyer, solicitor, doctor...."

"Okay, I suppose I'm dull...." I laughed out loud.

He paused for a moment then continued.

"Oh no!!" Alex exclaimed. "Alright, I'm going to shut up now because I seem to be coming out with all sorts", he said solemnly, "I didn't mean it that way, I just meant it's where you'll find the serious academics". He wiped the perspiration from his brow, which I presumed was from the heat. It was a scorcher today.

"So, what are you planning to study here?" he inquired.

"Well, I'm hoping to obtain a degree in medicine, and my lectures will cover basic medical sciences, followed by clinical training on hospital wards once I'm finished here'' I remarked flatly. I'm hoping he hasn't noticed.

"So you're smart?" he remarked.

''I wouldn't go that far'' I let out a small giggle.

I could see a smile form on his face as he pointed to the west building. This is probably where he goes to study. Two large stained wooden doors awaited us; they were already open, and Alex motioned for me to enter first. I spotted a sign on one of the walls that read 'Art Department' with an arrow pointing towards a room, which I instantly followed.

Alex stopped to talk to someone briefly while I marched on.

"Hey, there you are," Alex said, "so you want to start in the art department?"

He took me by surprise. "Yes, let's start here" I said.

"Do you like it?", he questioned as he observed me appreciating an artwork.

"Yes, it is wonderful." The artwork depicted a blue lake surrounded by majestic trees, one of which held a man-made swing constructed from an old car tyre, as well as flowers. The attention to detail was my favourite part. Alex gave me an odd smile.

''What is it Alex?'' I exclaimed. 

''Your kind of admiring me?'' he said. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, perplexed by his remarks. 

''Uhhhmmmm that's my painting'', he said. I noticed he started stroking his palm on the back of his neck. I got the sense he did this when he was shy and nervous.

"It can't be, can it?" I yelled rather too loudly for my liking. I noticed A. Scott's initials near the bottom of the painting, and said ''Your A. Scott?'' 

''That's me'', he smiled as he pointed to himself. ''You wound me Alaya''.

''How so?'', still shocked from this revelation.

"Hey, you may have the brains, but I'm good with my fingers," he said, raising his fingers to show me. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that; I meant that I didn't think of you as an artist."  

For a brief moment, we locked gazes. That was awkward, I thought, as I cleared my throat as a sign for us to move on. "Shall we continue...' Alex mumbled. I gave a nod.

Alex guided me around the west building, pointing out the different departments. We explored the onsite gym and swimming pool, as well as multiple canteens, dining halls, and the career centre. Alex was a regular at the gym. I could tell.

I hadn't noticed until my phone started to make a sound. I checked my phone and it was a reminder for me to get to my first class. I didn't want to be late. 

"Alex, thank you so much for the tour, but I have to head to my first class, so I guess I'll see you around," I said. I gave him a wave and said my goodbyes.

Hey Lovelies, 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment-S