Chapter 46

Alex POV

When I got home, there were boxes upon boxes of things my mother had ordered for the flat. She was going to buy things for the flat to make it appear habitable, which I had forgotten about. I told myself I'd take care of it the next day. Despite the fact that I was exhausted from the ride home, I was able to shower and change. It was getting close to midnight. I texted Alaya since I was used to being around her.

Alex: Hey babe....

Alaya: You're still up?

Alex: I've been waiting. I always do.

Alaya: Huh?

Alex: Can you sleep on the phone with me? I can't help but feel sad when I'm not with you. Plus, you know now that I don't sleep well unless you're there.

Alaya: Awe. Of course baby.

We fell asleep while still being connected through our phones.

**********

After our weekend trip, we were allowed the following day off from Uni to relax. I was thankful for the day off because I needed to complete some tasks, one of which was to decorate this place. 

My roommate never seems to leave his room, so it's a miracle he even unlocked the door for the delivery people while I was gone. The first order of business was to unpack the boxes. My mother appeared to have bought everything from a showroom. A new coffee table, table and dining chairs, pillows, frames with creative images, dangly ornaments, a new lamp shade, and a rug were among the items that were ordered. The new sofa had already been delivered and set up in the living room. My mother also appeared to have taken care of the old sofa that was there before. The sections that needed to be protected from the paint were covered up. My mother had picked a neutral colour for the living room called 'cookie dough'. She had picked a soothing grey colour called 'Chic Shadow', with the note "For your bedroom" written on it. My mother really had thought of everything.

I put on my disposable overalls, which were also provided, and began painting. I was halfway through painting two walls when the doorbell rang. I went to open the door because I hadn't expected anyone to come so early. When I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised. Alaya was standing there with two hot drinks and some food in her hands.

"Hey baby, what are you doing here?", I said, since I hadn't expected her to be awake so early.

"I came because I wanted to start on the painting, but I see you started without me,"  she said, her tone conveying her displeasure and brows slightly furrowed.

"I figured I'd start because there are boxes everywhere and my mum appears to have gone overboard with the ornaments and extras. You're not mad are you?", I said, stroking the back of my head with my finger and feeling bad.

"I'm not mad, baby. It's only that I promised your mum  I'd decorate the place. This is much better as we will be able to decorate together. Is there a spare overall for me so I can get started?", she enquired further.

"Yes, there is, baby. Come in and make sure you don't trip over anything. My mum, as I already mentioned, has gone overboard with the stuff."   I said, shaking my head.

We had finished painting the entire living room, and it looked fantastic. We then moved on to my bedroom, which we finished in under an hour. I ordered pizza for each of us because we were both hungry after all of the hard work we had put in. My mother's taste in paint was oddly comparable to mine. She chose well. After finishing our pizza, we moved on to hanging the framed art and ornaments as the paint had dried. The dining table and chairs, as well as the coffee table, were all set up. Alaya completed the room with a few finishing touches. When we were done, we both slumped back into the dark grey sofa and heaved a joyful sigh. We look at one another, when we did this, and burst out laughing.

Hey Lovelies,

A short chapter this time. I'm suffering from a bit of writers block. Please vote and comment- S