Chapter 12

Alaya's POV:

I helped my mum in tidying the kitchen and setting the table for the tutor she was hoping to impress. I wasn't sure how her idea was going to pan out. But once an idea enters my mum's head, she can't stop herself, no matter how ridiculous it may seem. I went upstairs for a shower and a change of clothes. My hair had been rapidly dried and tied into a bun on top of my head. It'd been a long and exhausting day. While rummaging through my folders I came across the transfer course application. I'm not sure why, but I completed it. I wasn't planning on turning it in, but it felt good to write down the course I wanted to take. I then perched on top of my bed to do some reading for class the next day.

I assumed the tutor had arrived when I heard the doorbell ring. The doorbell rang a second time, and I thought to myself, "That's odd, why hasn't mum answered the door?" I walked downstairs to see who was where, but I couldn't find anyone.

He was standing there when I opened the door.

Alex was the new tutor for my twin brothers.

______________________________________

Alex POV

I rang the doorbell once but received no response, so I waited. I then rang the doorbell again. I checked my phone again to be sure I was in the right place. I was looking at my phone when the door opened.

Alaya was standing in the doorway. She came to a standstill in front of me, taken aback.

"Hello, Alaya," I answered, surprised.

She remained silent for a minute or so, soaking it all in. "Hello.... Alex, what are you doing here?"

"I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake with the address, but is your mother Mrs Laila Khan?"

She responded with a nod when I asked her a question.

"She contacted me about tutoring her 11-year-old twin boys after seeing my advertisement in the local corner shop. I'm guessing they're your brothers?''

"Unfortunately, they're my younger twin brothers. I don't think this is a good idea, Alex. My brothers, you see, are quite demanding, and it'll be a lot of work, so perhaps you should just go home and forget about it all." She stated with a troubled expression on her face and a scrunched up brow.

"Alaya I'm willing to take on a challenge. Also, your mother sounded desperate on the phone when she mentioned your siblings will be taking their SAT exams this year? I don't want to let her down." I mean how bad could it be, I thought.

Just as I said that a lady appeared, this must be Alaya's mum, I could see the resemblance. If I didn't know better, I would never have guessed this was Alaya's mum because she did not look old enough. Mrs Khan was around 5 feet 4 inches tall, slim, and had a heart-shaped face. Her make-up was minimal but effective in bringing out her hazel-coloured eyes, warm skin tone, and a pink matte lipstick on her lips. She donned a headscarf and was clothed in a white and black traditional Asian suit.

" Mrs Khan, I'm Alex Scott, we spoke on the phone" I said as I shook her hand.

"Good afternoon Mr Scott. Thank you so much for coming. The twins are excited to meet you and to have you as their tutor..." She said to me with a warm smile.

"Get out of the way, Alaya, and let Mr Scott in. We don't want Mr. Scott to think we're rude " Mrs Khan spoke to Alaya in a weird tone, as if to plead, "Please don't ruin this for me."

"But mum..." Alaya attempted to continue, but her mother cut her off with an eye gesture. I'm not sure what that was about, but all I could think about was how fortunate I was to be here.

I entered the house and removed my backpack.

Two young boys ran towards us. One appeared to have used a black marker over his forehead and beneath his eyes, he looked as if he was about to go to battle. The other had a nerf gun in his hand with just his shorts on and a band around his forehead. They didn't appear to be prepared for my tutoring session. I simply glanced at Alaya, confused, and she mimed "Sorry" with a scowl on her face. This is going to be interesting I thought to myself.

Mrs Khan motioned for the boys to come forward and introduce themselves. Kamran was the boy with the marks on his face, and Harris was the one with the nerf gun.

"Come on boys, introduce yourself to Mr Scott, who will be teaching you both from now on. Let us make him feel welcome" They didn't appear to be impressed in the least. I just about heard them say hello with a sad expression.

I was ushered into the dining room by Mrs Khan. She appeared to be preparing a banquet for someone. The table was piled high with food and desserts. I hoped I hadn't arrived at an inconvenient time. Mrs Khan must've noticed my expression because she said "This food is for you, Mr. Scott. We like to welcome our guests and make them feel comfortable."

"Please Mrs Khan call me Alex, Mr Scott is too formal for my liking, and this is far too much food and so unexpected. I'm sure I won't be able to eat this as I'll be teaching the boys''

"Don't be silly, it was no trouble. I can always pack you some food to take home with you. Please take your seats, boys, because Alex will be starting soon."

I couldn't make out what the boys were grumbling about, but it didn't sound pleasant.

Alaya was still guarding the door. She wore no make-up. I couldn't help but notice how stunning she looked in her natural state. She didn't require any of the makeup. Her hair was pinned into a bun, and she looked wonderful in her Asian clothing.

I asked her, "Alaya, are you going to just stand there or do you want to join us?''

"Noo...oo.. I'm just going to stay for a little bit, you know, to make sure the boys behave," she remarked, giving the boys a warning look.

"So boys we are going to start off with maths first and then go on to English," I explained.

"Aagghh!!, why do we have to study, I want to play wrestling and nerf wars," Kamran exclaimed, his elbows on the table and his palms squashing his face.

"So you enjoy wrestling? That's good to know. To enter wrestling school, the greatest wrestlers had to achieve good grades."

"Yeah right, as if it were true. Who needs good grades to wrestle? When you do a slam dunk, you don't use your math skills." Harris laughed as he stated that to Kamran.

"Harris, don't be rude to Alex!! Do you want me to tell dad about this! Dad's already taken the PS4 away from you because of what you did to the last tutor" Alaya said while giving him a cold stare.

Should I question what he did to the last tutor or remain silent, I pondered.

"I hate you so much Alaya! Muuuummm, Alaya is being mean to me again!!'' Harris exclaimed.

I felt like a referee in the boxing ring. I tried to calm Harris down by gesturing to Alaya, but it was futile because Harris had made up his mind and stormed out of the room. Kamran followed leaving me and Alaya alone in the room.

Hey Lovelies, I hope you are enjoying the story so far. The next few chapters are going to be cheesy, just the way I like my romance. Please like and comment- S ❤