Chapter 16

Alaya's POV:

Today seems to have been a fast-paced day on campus. I was sketching small doodles in my note book as Professor Hayes was giving us another presentation. I despised being in class. My heart just wasn't in it. The only good thing to come out of the class was the new friend I had made, Tori. She sat next to me which allowed us to chat a little throughout the breaks. We appear to have bonded over the fact that we both don't want to pursue medicine as a first choice. She was an A+ student who liked music. That was her first choice, but her parents, like mine, believed medicine was the best option. She informed me that she had completed the transfer course application and that she would submit it if she still thought this course was not for her. I also admitted to completing the application, which made her squeal with delight. 

"Alaya, don't let anyone or anything stop you from pursuing your dream. Whatever happens, your parents will still love you. Do what you think is best for you.'' She stated her case.

''You are right Tori. I met this guy yesterday, Alex, he's an art student here. He's helping me with my transition to the art department. I'm hoping to participate in the art programme, which begins in two weeks. He told me that I needed to bring some of my sketches in to show his professor. I'm nervous just thinking about it," I replied, my voice cracking.

"Wait a minute, hold on. It isn't Alex Scott you are talking about?'' she inquired, moving to the side.

''Yes that's him. Why?'' I replied, unsure of how to interpret her look.

''He's my brothers room mate. My older brother is also a university student. Well on paper, he appears to be. He doesn't show up very often to his classes, to be honest. Alex has a lot of talent. I'm surprised he's helping you because he's not known for going above and beyond. He must like you'' She replied nonchalantly.

''What?  I let out a shriek.  ''Don't be silly. We hardly know each other. I only met him yesterday, and our first meeting wasn't particularly pleasant. He also started to tutor my twin brothers .He isn't fond of me in that way. We will only ever be friends." I attempted to be as casual as possible in my response, but it was proving tough.

"If you say so, Alaya. The Alex I know isn't the type to go out of his way to help someone. Take my word for it, that boy likes you,'' she said. ''Did you know that since he started working at the T-House café on weekends, they've had an influx of young females ordering hot drinks and sitting there all day long, yearning for his attention? He's not interested though as he's still single. I guess he hasn't found the one yet. He's a good looking guy and you know what he's also not a bad singer. They hold a singing session in the café where anyone can participate and sing. We should go sometime''.

Tori's perspective on everything astonished me. Alex Scott could never be  interested in me like that. We'd only met yesterday. He was helping me since he was a good guy. When he was tutoring my brothers yesterday, I caught a glimpse of his kindness. When Tori remarked that girls flaunt themselves in front of him, I have to admit I had a slight sense of envy. That was an odd sensation. I mean, I could see that he was attractive and talented, but I couldn't see past that. My goal in life has always been to obtain a degree, and that is exactly what I intend to do here.

LATER THAT DAY

Alex's POV

I'd gone to Alaya's house to tutor her brothers. Since our brief encounter in the canteen earlier today, I've been yearning to see her. I was overjoyed to see that it had been Alaya who had opened the door. Her face was smeared with the warmest smile.

"Hey Alex, come on in," she said. "The boys are waiting for you in the dining room; I'm not sure how you managed it, but they were already there, waiting for you, without a word from mum reminding them. From now on, I believe you will be the family's favourite person. Nobody has ever been able to control my brothers.''

"I'd like to be your favourite person, Alaya," my subconscious said. I broke out the trance immediately and pulled myself back to reality.

I started with math because the boys said it was their least favourite subject. I assigned them some tasks so that I could focus on Alaya, who was reading a book across from me. She'd changed into a traditional light pink Asian suit with white embellishments instead of the clothes she'd worn to university today. Her hair was pulled up and she wore round glasses that appeared to be too big for her petite face. She didn't seem to realise that I was staring at her because she was so engrossed in a book. I couldn't help but wonder whether she could be any more perfect.

"Alaya, could you show me some of the work we talked about earlier?"  I said as quietly as possible, using my eyes to indicate towards the twins, so the boys wouldn't pick up on what we were talking about.

"I have the book with me. Why don't you come here and I'll show you?'' she said carefully.

I joined her and took a seat next to her. The boys had become immersed in the math equation and were completely oblivious to our presence. The letter 'A' had been coloured in various colours and covered the front page of her sketchbook. When I opened the book, I was blown away by the artwork on the first page. The illustration depicted a crimson-and-yellow sunset over an ocean. A quivering trail across the ocean was lit by the brilliant sun, a sharp circle in the bloody sky. The timid waves of the ocean and the wispy clouds were bathed in a fiery scarlet.

''My goodness Alaya, this is magnificent.'' I said astonished. 

I moved on to the next page and was once again blown away. A wooden cabin with a waterfall in the background and a stream flowing by the side was featured in the artwork. A waterfall cascaded down from the mountains in the background. Smoke billowed from the chimney, lighting up the small home. Tall, majestic fertile trees in red, yellow, and green dominated the painting. A little owl was nesting on a branch, and deer were drinking from the stream. The level of attention to detail was exceptional.

I kept turning the pages and was more awestruck than I had been by the previous drawings and paintings. What kind of person would squander their gift like this?

"Alaya, you are incredibly gifted. Surely you realise that a medical degree is meaningless and that this is your path." As I stated this, I raised the book to show her.

''You really think so, Alex," she blushed.

"I genuinely mean it. Will you come with me to the professor's office tomorrow morning?'' I pushed.

"Yes, but  would you come with me? My nerves are already jangling just thinking about it'', she pressed.

''Of course I'll come with you.'' I replied.

Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough. 

Hey Lovelies, Hope you are enjoying the build up of Alex and Alaya's relationship. Its going to get good soon. Please vote and comment with any suggestions.- S 😊