Chapter 54

3 WEEKS LATER

Alex POV

Since that night, Alaya's phone had been switched off. I couldn't get in touch with her via phone or text. That didn't stop me from trying, though. I had left so many messages on her answering machine that it was completely full and I couldn't leave any more. I'd been sending her texts after texts. 

I've been going insane since that night. The police arrived and took me into custody, believing I was the one who had assaulted Alaya. I would never inflict such pain on Alaya. All I wanted to do when they released me was be there for her. Seeing Alaya in that state that night destroyed my heart. The image of that night has been etched in my mind forever. Alaya sitting in the corner, rocking herself back and forth, crying in pain.

After a few more days, Mrs Khan agreed to let me come and tutor the boys. She was worried out of her mind. I could tell the entire family was devastated. Mrs Khan's cheerful demeanour had vanished. She wasn't the same woman I'd met a few weeks before. Mrs Khan seemed to want the twins' lives to return to some semblance of normalcy, so she invited me to come over to tutor them a few days later. Every day, I'd ask Mrs Khan how Alaya was doing, but she always gave me the same answer. "She's still the same, Alex''. She was fighting back the tears when I would ask.

Mrs Khan even agreed to let me to see Alaya for a brief period of time. I could tell she was having a rough day since I sensed something was bothering her. Mrs Khan advised that when she went upstairs to ask Alaya if I could come upstairs to see her, she received no response, only silence.  It's been a few weeks now since I've seen her.

I know Alaya is going through hell, but I want to help her. Knowing she is in so much pain breaks my heart. For what he's done to her, I want to kill that scumbag. He is out on bail and living his life while Alaya is locked up in her bedroom like a prisoner. She's torturing herself even more for his wicked crimes. If I see him, I'm not going to hold back. I feel so guilty for not being able to protect her. That evening, I wish I hadn't left her house. I regret not returning sooner. Maybe this would have been prevented. I couldn't protect my girl and for that I will always be sorry.

Alaya has given up on everything due of that selfish prick! Every time I think about what that prick has done to Alaya, I'm so enraged that I can't control myself.

I'm praying for Alaya to overcome this trauma, and I'll be there to help her pick up the pieces because she'll always be the same Alaya to me. All I want is for her to let me in. I understand that I need to give her space, but I also need to help her in making things some what better. I love her so much. This hasn't changed my feelings for her, and it never will. I need her to know this, which is why I'm not going to give up.

"Mrs Khan, do you think I'll be able to see Alaya today? I just wanted to see if she was up for visitors. It's been a couple of weeks. Her phone is still switched off and I'm worried about her." I questioned, trying to keep a neutral expression on my face, but I was slowly crumbling within, the guilt eating at me for not protecting Alaya from that monster.

"Alex, thank you for being a good friend to Alaya. Let me go upstairs and ask her."   Mrs Khan said, giving me a friendly tap on the arm and a small smile on her face.

"Mrs Khan, if it's all right with you do you think I could go upstairs and try myself? Maybe, that might help"   With a desperate look on my face, I asked her.

"I don't know, Alex. She is just so broken", Mrs Khan told me this while fighting back tears. "Perhaps we can try it your way and see how it goes. I've tried everything else. Let me prepare a bowl of soup. She hasn't had anything to eat in days. She's nothing but skin and bones."