Chapter 25

Alex POV:

I accompanied Alaya on the bus so I could walk her home after closing the café because it was late and I needed to make sure she got home safely. Plus it meant I got to be spend more time with her. When she placed her head on my shoulder on the bus, I couldn't help but gush. We held our hands in each other's throughout the journey. After getting off the bus, Alaya requested that we not hold hands as we walked up the street because the neighbourhood she lived in was very close-knit and everyone enjoyed a good gossip. She didn't want her parents to find out about us until she was ready. I was aware that we would need to make some adjustments to make things work, so I understood this decision.

We had arrived at her front door. I didn't want the night to come to an end or for Alaya to be separated from me, but it was late and I knew she had to go inside. Mrs Khan was in the hallway as she opened the door. As soon as Mrs Khan saw me, she came to the door with a puzzled face.

''Alaya what is Alex doing here. Is everything all right?'' she inquired.

"Yes mum"  Alaya answered. "Alex works at the café and wanted to accompany me home to make sure I arrived home safely."

''Oh Alex you are a sweetheart aren't you.''  Mrs Khan said to me with a warm smile.

'' Mrs Khan, it's no trouble.'' I smiled back at her and said.

"I'm pleased you're back, Alaya, because guess who's here?"  Mrs Khan said excitedly to Alaya.

''Who mum?'' Alaya replied, intrigued by her mother's excitement.

"Zayn has come. He's graduated from university and moved back here to work in his father's accounting firm. Can you believe it?''  Mrs Khan winked at Alaya and said, "You know what, he only came back today and insisted on seeing you. Isn't that sweet of him?"

Who is this Zayn guy, and why is Mrs Khan overjoyed that he has come to see Alaya?

Alaya's eyes had widened when she heard Zayn's name, and I could see this made her happy.

"Really mum. Where is he then?''  Alaya questioned Mrs Khan while looking around the house.

A man who appeared to be dressed very well emerged from the living room. He was dressed in a navy blue Hugo boss shirt and black tapered cut chino trousers with suede loafers, standing roughly 5'11 inches tall. He wore a gold ring with a lion motif and a chain around his neck. With a comb over style, his hair was flawlessly in place. I could tell he was proud of his appearance because he looked neat and well groomed.

''Whose voice is that I hear? It couldn't Miss Alaya Khan now could it?" , he exclaimed, as he embraced and lifted  Alaya.

I noticed how he relished in Alaya's fragrance, resulting in a contented grin on his face. He took a step back and placed his index finger and thumb under his chin, glancing up and down at Alaya and said out loud, "beautiful as ever."  

"Oh Zayney, shut up!!"  While flushing, Alaya yelled as she tried to hit his arm in a friendly manner.

'OK mate, let's not get too close to the girl of my dreams, and can we please keep a distance?' I thought to myself as I watched the scene unfold. Zayney? What's that about? I wish Alaya had a pet name for me. 

''Zayney, when did you come over? Look at you. You look so good. I wish I'd known you were coming. We could have spent the day together.''  Alaya reacted with the same vigour and excitement.

I was still standing by the front door. I felt uncomfortable, so I coughed to draw attention to myself. Alaya turned around, sensing my discomfort.