Chapter 34

Alayas POV:

The sound of my phone buzzing jolted me awake. While my eyes were still closed, my hands searched for my phone. I noticed Alex's name flash up on my phone as I squinted my eyes to see who it was.

Alex: When somebody texts you good morning, they're really saying you're the first thing they think about. Hope you have a great day. Can't wait to see you later. 😘

Even when I'm fatigued, he manages to put a smile on my face. I caught sight of the time. ''Oh shit! I'm going to be late" I told myself. I leapt from my bed and into the shower. I quickly got myself ready. I wore a salmon pink bodycon midi dress with white thick sole pumps.  I couldn't do anything extravagant with my hair due to time limitation, so I tied it up in a ponytail and accessorised my ears with studs and a chain around my neck. My make-up was quite simple, consisting of mascara, light brown eyeshadow, and a nude lipstick.

I went downstairs to the living room, where I could see my twin brothers causing mayhem by running around the sofa playing tag and not getting ready for school. 

"Boys, get ready or you're going to be late for school!"  I said it in an irritated tone.

"Alaya, shut up!" They both uttered at the same time and began laughing at each other. I instantly resigned myself to defeat. Today I was too exhausted to give a damn.

I went up to the kitchen because my mum was nowhere to be found. She was doing the dishes at the time.

"Morning Mum," I kissed her on the cheek and said. "You know the boys will to be late for school. They are still not ready. Isn't Dad awake yet?"

"I know Alaya. They are driving me up the wall. I have packed you some lunch for Uni, it's on the counter. Your father has already gone to work for the day. He's taken on a few extra shifts this week so you might not see much of him"  My mother responded while attempting to clean the counters.

"Is he still mad at me, mum?"  I inquired, my voice gloomy since this was bothering me.

"You know your father isn't going to be upset with you for very long. Give him time," my mother replied, pausing what she was doing to reassure me with a soft touch on my hand.

"Mum, keep in mind that I'll be leaving on Friday for the two-day trip and won't be returning until Monday," I said to remind her. I had informed my parents that the trip was required as part of my studies. I never said what course, so I wasn't technically lying.

"Yes, sweetheart, I know." My mother responded. "Do you think Alex is likely to be able to tutor the boys this week? He texted me to apologise for not showing up yesterday and to say that he had been assaulted the night before. Isn't that terrifying?

"I'm not sure, mum, but I'll text him and see what I can find out, okay?" I didn't have time for a proper breakfast, so I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. "I'm leaving now, Mum. Just so you know, I might be back late tonight, and I'll text you "...

I was pondering in Professor Green's class. Professor Green was quickly establishing himself as one of my favourite professors; he had an unusual sense of style, but I knew I'd love his classes. I was trying to concentrate on what he saying, but it was difficult since I couldn't get a certain green-eyed man out of my thoughts. If Alex had been here, he would have been in the art studio next door, where the second-year students were, finding an excuse to sneak into the class for a peek.  'Focus Alaya, focus' I kept telling myself.

The Professor was delivering a lecture to the class. 

"Students, for those of you who have joined us this week, I simply want to remind you of a few things. While developing your studio practise, you'll experiment with a variety of working approaches to enhance your artistic abilities. You'll present your achievements at your first exhibition at the end of the year. The first year is all about exploring and learning. You'll be taught via a mix of lectures, workshops, trips, tutorials and studio-practice. You'll be allocated your own studio space to work in. This will be a place for you to share and develop your ideas with other students. First year and second year students. I strongly advise you to use the studio because this is where you will be spending the majority of your time."  He said.