Chapter 51

Alaya POV

I'd woken in a hospital bed, unsure of how I'd ended up there. I sprang up from my bed, clutching my legs, and looked around the room to check if he was there. I couldn't utter his name because I couldn't bear it. My eyes were bothered by the bright lights, or perhaps it was because my eyelids were swollen. As if there was no off button, tears streamed down my cheeks in a pool. Some of my tears had made their way to specific places of my face which were burning. I flinched when I touched my face. My face was swelled in places. This is what he did to me. He hurt me. He tortured me. Even though he had me beg, he still did this to me. Why can't I get the words out of my head to describe what he did to me? I shake my head every time I think about it. It's as if my mind refuses to believe what he did to me. Maybe this didn't happen, and when I wake up, it is all just a bad dream. I don't want this to be real.

This was my reality now. My tears were uncontrollable. The pain I felt all over my body was evidence of this being real. I need to go home so I can have a shower and wash him off of me. Yes, that will help. I couldn't help but wince as I struggled to get out of bed, clutching the left side of my waist, in excruciating discomfort. Through my squinting eyes, I noticed a mirror and a sink in the room. Due to the discomfort I was experiencing, I approached it gently. When I got to the mirror, I didn't recognise myself at first. My face was battered and stained with blood. My eyes had grown to the size of walnuts and were bruised purple. My bottom lip and the area under my right eye had been cut. My lip wound was still open, and blood was oozing from it.

My pyjama top was torn, revealing biting marks around my neck, breasts, and arms. I lifted my shirt to expose the source of the ache on my left side. With my narrowed eyes, I could just make out a big bruise that had grown there. I remember him kicking me there when I tried to fight back. Tears trickled down my cheeks in a steady stream. I should have put up a better fight. I wasn't me anymore. He made sure of it. 

 I was startled when the door opened, so I raised my hand in the air and tried to balance myself in order to protect myself. A lady in a white shirt and black pencil skirt entered, cautiously approaching me.

Due to the swelling in my eyes, she brought her badge up to me, but I couldn't read the name because my eyelids were partially closed. "Hello Alaya, my name is Ilene Warren. I work at the Sexual Assault Referral Unit. I'm a support worker and have been asked to support you throughout this. My job will be to explain what we do here and offer you support where required. I'm going to take a seat in the blue chair next to your bed. Do you want me to help you get back to your bed? I can tell you're in a lot of pain there ", she said to me, with a half-smile on her face, as she pointed to the blue chair.

"Ilene, I need to go home. I need to have a shower. I feel dirty and I need to wash this all off. Can you help me get home", I cried, gesturing up and down my body, tears streaming down my face.

"We can do that Alaya. But the doctors here would like to perform what we call a forensic medical examination. You don't have to consent to this. However, the sooner this happens, the better our chances of gathering evidence that can subsequently be presented in court. We have well-trained staff on hand. They will take samples, such as swabs from anywhere you have been kissed, touched or had anything inserted. They will also take urine and blood samples and occasionally hair, depending on the information you provide about the assault. They will also retain some clothing as well as other items."   She went on to tell me. 

I was feeling over whelmed and my head was feeling light again. I wasn't able to grasp what was happening to me. "I need to sit down, my heads beginning to spin again" I told her as I kept my footing and put the palm of my hand on the one side of my head.

"Of course, Alaya. Lets get you to your bed. Is it all right if I assist you?" She asked me again, this time with caution.

"Yes please. I am in a lot of pain", I clarified.

She held on to my right side and assisted me in limping back to the bed. As soon as I sat down, panic overtook me once more. My breathing became quick, and sweat began to build on my forehead. My heart seemed to be beating a thousand times per second. I needed to get out of here. "I don't know what to do. I feel so dirty, Ilene. I have to return home.  I'm afraid he'll return and hurt my brothers. Oh my goodness! My brothers, they're at home all alone. I need to return...." Ilene came over to me and handed me some water as I was explaining.

"Alaya, your brothers, are perfectly fine. The police officers are there right now. Your parents have been notified, and they will be home shortly. I think you're experiencing a panic attack so I need you to try and relax for me. Slowly inhale and exhale."

"My parents? How am I going to see them like this? " I stated this while pointing up and down. "He said he'll return, and he'll do something bad to my family. He threatened to kill my brothers if I didn't keep quiet. I didn't want to do any of this. But he... he did this to me and now he's going to hurt my family"  I expressed my distress to Ilene, but how could she understand what I was going through?

"Nobody is going to harm you or your family, Alaya. If you agree to the forensic medical examination, we will also take a statement from you in addition to what I have advised. We'll make an arrest once we figure out who did this to you. You will not be harmed by anyone," she explained herself once more.

"If I do this examination thing can I go home please. I need to protect my family." In an imploring tone, I inquired.

"If you want to go through with the forensic medical examination today, I'll make the necessary arrangements." Ilene continued, her voice gentle.

"Will you please stay with me, Ilene? I'm terrified of being alone. Will there be female doctors. I don't want to be around any males."  After what he did to me, I couldn't bear another male touching them, so I requested this.

"Yes, I will see to it that your wishes are fulfilled. All I have to do now is make the necessary preparations. Alaya, I won't be long." I nodded in response to what she said.

Hey Lovelies,

This was hard to write. Please vote and comment-S