Chapter 53

Day 1

Day 2.

Day 3.

Day 4.

Day 5.

Since her return from the hospital, Alaya had not left the guest bedroom in her house. The police had her bedroom cordoned off while they gathered evidence. Zayn had been arrested for sexual assault but had been released on bail with conditions.

Her bedroom curtains had remained closed since she had moved into the guest bedroom. She avoided the bathroom as much as she could since there was a large mirror above the sink, and she despised looking at the bruises that had been left on her face and body. It appeared as if her body had been painted in various shades of pink, purple, yellow, blue, and green. Every time she noticed the bite marks left by Zayn, she would have a panic attack. The only way she could feel better was to jump into the bath and turn on the shower to try to wash Zayn's remains away, but nothing helped.

Laila had come to check if Alaya wanted anything to eat, but instead found her sitting in the bath, holding her legs together as cold water flowed down from the shower head. Laila could see her daughter shivering as the chilly water poured over her. Panic filled Laila, as she went to turn off the shower. "Alaya, you are freezing. How long have you been sitting under the cold water?", she yelled, as she grabbed a towel to fold over her. Alaya was shaking from the cold and in a daze. Laila shook her out of frustration and when Alaya woke from her daze, she muttered while crying, "Mum, why can't I wash him off myself? He has tainted my body all around. I wish I was dead"

Since that day Alaya's parents were checking in  on her round the clock to keep an eye on her. 

Outside of the bedroom door, Alaya could hear her mother and Ilene, her support worker, talking. Ilene had been to Alaya's house everyday since she had been discharged from hospital. She'd sit for a few hours to see if Alaya needed anything, but it was futile because all Alaya wanted was to be alone and invisible.

"I'm not sure what to do, Ilene. For the past five days, she hasn't left her room. She refuses to eat. She just sleeps in her bed, wrapped in her blanket, tears streaming down her face, and in complete silence. She doesn't talk to me as much as she used to. I feel totally powerless. She's in immense pain, and she won't let me help her." With tears running down her cheeks, Laila voiced her distress to Ilene.

"Alaya has been through a horrific ordeal, Mrs Khan. It will take time for her to open up and reclaim her identity. Keep in mind that this may take some time. You should just concentrate on Alaya. You can give her all the help she needs when she's ready to let you in, because she'll need it. Have any of her close friends tried to contact her?" In a soothing but calm tone, Ilene explained to Laila.

"Tori came over, but I sent her away because Alaya was sleeping. I let Alex come for the boys' tuition and he wanted to see Alaya, but when I asked if she was up for visits, she didn't answer, so I assumed she didn't want to see him either."  While wiping her tears, Laila advised Ilene.

"I'll come tomorrow at the same time. You have my phone number in case Alaya needs me. Mrs Khan, I'm here for you all. Please contact me if you require any assistance "  Before she departed, Ilene told Laila.

Alaya could hear everything that was spoken, but it didn't bother her any longer. She was numb and lifeless on the inside. She was adamant about not engaging with anyone. She thought her life had lost its significance and desired to end it. She attempted to recall a happy moment in her life, but all the thoughts that came to mind were of Alex. This made her joyful for a while, but it was fleeting as her mind returned to the unpleasant memories of what Zayn had done to her.

Please comment and vote. – S