Chapter 14

Alex's POV:

I was able to arrive on campus early today. I was on a mission, you see, to persuade Professor Green to let Alaya and me join the trip for the art programme. The problem was that I wasn't Professor Green's favourite student. Let's just say I was never on time, constantly late with my assignments, occasionally fell asleep in class, and was the polar opposite of an honours student. I'm not sure why Professor Green kept giving me chances, but I suppose he saw something in me that I wasn't aware of. Don't get me wrong, I was appreciative, but I sure put this man's patience to the test. It's understandable that he wants to retire early.

I rushed to the west building to avoid the masses and speak with Professor Green alone. As I arrived into class, I spotted Professor Green sat at his desk, pondering something while combing his moustache with his small comb. He was taken aback when he saw me and sprung from his chair.

"Wonders would cease, Mr Scott arriving 30 minutes ahead of time to my class. To whom do I owe this pleasure?'' He said this while checking at his watch, as if to confirm that I had arrived early.

"Good morning, Professor,  I'm not sure what you're talking about. I make it a point to be on time for class. I also need to finish my art work before the deadline you've set, so I came in early to get a head start," I explained.

"Well, Mr Scott, I'm surprised but pleased to hear you're concentrating on your work. You are aware of your immense potential. It's a shame you weren't this enthusiastic last year." He said, grooming his moustache. What's the deal with that moustache, anyway?

''Professor I'm pleased you've noticed a difference in me. While I'm here I was wondering if I might make a request for two spaces for the art programme you're planning?"

'' If my memory serves me correctly, you didn't care for the art programme and stayed inside most of the time. You felt the other activities, such as sitting around a campfire, which we did to encourage people to get to know each other and participate in the other activities, were childish. In fact that's where your precious art work, the one on the wall, got its inspiration from," he said, pointing to my picture that Alaya had been admiring the day before.

The professor only needed to bring up the fact that I wasn't engaging in the other activities. I'm terrified of heights, I stayed inside those two days because I didn't want to ride the zip line, climb the mountain, or participate in any of the other activities that required me to be in the air. But I chose not to tell the rest of the group, so I just went around the park, soaking in the sights. I used to be a member of a scout club, so I know what it's like to sit around a campfire. My mother enrolled me in order to alleviate my fear of heights; nevertheless, it was the worst thing she could have done because it simply exacerbated my dread. My memories of sitting around a campfire were not pleasant since they reminded me of the forced camping trips I had to endure as a scout.

"That's why I wanted to see if there were any more spaces, because I'm serious about this year and think that place would inspire me like it did with my previous work. Is it possible for me and a friend to go?" Since I couldn't read his face, I spoke slowly.

'And who is this friend of yours, may I inquire? An art student?'' As he stated this, he lifted his brow.

''Professor, you see, she is a student at this university, but she is not enrolled in this course." I explained everything thoroughly. "She's considering changing her major, so I suggested she go on the trip to see whether it's a good fit for her. Professor, she's a brilliant student, and I believe this course would be ideal for her. So what do you say?''

"So your friend is a female? I hope this isn't a matter of the heart Mr Scott. Before I make a final decision, I'd like to meet this student and view examples of her work. I can't have any knuckleheads in my class, therefore I have to vet them, especially if you've recommended them."  

Was that a snide remark? I wasn't sure how to take it. I accepted it nevertheless because I wanted Alaya to come, and if that meant the Professor snubbed me, so be it.

"Thank you, Professor; you will not be disappointed. I'll bring her sometime this week.'' I stated as I picked up my backpack.

"Mr Scott, where are you going?" He questioned, "I thought you mentioned you came in early to get a head start?"

"I'll be back, Professor; only I have to go to the canteen and get some breakfast."

As I walked away, Professor Green shook his head. "What to do with this boy" I overheard him say.

I left early in order to find Alaya. The notion of seeing her made my heart skip a beat.

Hey lovelies, I hope you are enjoying the chapters so far. If you have any suggestions or feedback I would appreciate it as I'm currently experiencing writers block. Please vote, comment and share- S 😊