Chapter 60

Alaya POV

The auction was scheduled to take place in two days. I'd been racing around like a headless chicken, trying to make sure everything was in order since I wanted this to be a success. Meanwhile, Rob needed to attend an important meeting elsewhere and requested if I could greet the potential purchasers at the gallery. They were arriving two days early for the auction, and it was up to me to impress them. I wasn't sure what I was meant to do, but I assured Rob that I had everything under control. Yeah right! As if that were the case!

I had worn my favourite black trousers with a cream chiffon blouse and my black leather loafers. This morning, I had time to curl my hair loosely and complete it with a clip to the side for a neat finish. My make-up was simple: mascara, a neutral eye shadow, and a warm neutral lipstick. I'm not a fan of heavy make-up, and this style feels to be more in line with the expectations of an art gallery.

My nerves were getting the best of me. I began to perform my self-calming practise, by breathing in and out and twirling my bracelet. 'I can do this', I said to myself. Normally, Rob dealt with people like this, and I was the one who tied up the loose ends. But I couldn't let him down since he was counting on me. 'It'll be fine, they'll love the place,' I kept telling myself.

I went to the reception area to instruct Sarah, the unflappable receptionist who spent her days chewing gum and filing her nails, instead of executing her job of answering phones, taking messages, and greeting visitors.

"Sarah, I'll be in the conference room, so if the buyers arrive, please call me on the conference room phone and I'll come greet them in the reception area. Before we get to the conference room, I'll probably give them a tour of the gallery. I'm just going to throw them a small brunch" I said to Sarah, who seemed very unbothered by what I was saying.

"Okay, Alaya." She responded, while rolling her eyes, chewing her gum and filing her nails. She was tall and slim with red silky long hair. She dressed in bright, quirky outfits and wore the most outlandish high heels, and she had a fifties vibe about her. She always wore oddly shaped glasses and today was no exception. She donned a strange rectangle-shaped pair of bright orange coloured glasses.

I headed to the conference room to organize the small brunch that I had planned. One of the nicest spaces in the gallery was the conference room, which was enormous. It had a giant hardwood table with 25 leather chairs around it, as well as a large flat screen television surrounded by exquisite oil paintings. Me and Rob used to come into this room instead of his office since it was light and airy, and also because of the art work that was displayed everywhere. I'd been in this room many times, yet every time I walked in and saw the paintings on the walls, it was as if I'd never seen them before.

I wanted to focus and get through the day, so I prepared myself a cup of coffee. I sat in the conference room, looking over the portfolio of paintings we'd chosen for the auction. I couldn't stop myself from gushing over some of the artwork that had been created. The women who painted had done a fantastic job. I then went to our social media sites to promote the event. Many people seemed to like, comment on, and share it. The fact that the collaboration was to aid a women's refuge seemed to attract a lot of people. Looking at this made my heart smile because I felt like I was accomplishing something meaningful and worthwhile.

I figured it would be worth it to have a bite to eat before the prospective buyers arrived, so I walked to the staff room and grabbed my handmade falafel wrap from the refrigerator. I was unable to finish the wrap. Once again, my nerves were getting the best of me. I was under such a tremendous amount of pressure to impress the potential buyers. I wished I hadn't told Rob I was fine with managing the meeting. The truth is I didn't want to let him down. I'm hoping today goes by quickly.

I threw away the rest of the wrap in the bin and made myself another cup of coffee. I collected a folder off my desk and started to make my way back to the conference room.

When I returned to the conference room, I could see the back of a tall figure admiring one of the oil paintings through the glass wall. He was wearing a long black overcoat, with his hands in his pockets. I could tell he was smartly dressed because he was wearing a grey trouser suit with black business shoes. I was curious to see his face since his back looked familiar, but he wouldn't move his gaze away from the oil painting. I can't say I blame him; it's one of my favourites as well. His mousey brown hair was brushed to the side perfectly.

I'm hoping it isn't one of the purchasers. I checked my watch and realised it was far too early. Sarah didn't even call me. This person had to be lost, I concluded. With my coffee and folder in hand, I carefully opened the door. I walked up to him, setting my coffee and folder on the hardwood table.

"Hello, may I help you with something? Are you lost?", I said, waiting for him to turn around, with a smile on my face.

He shifted his weight and smiled back.

I felt the blood rush down my face and my smile vanished causing me gasp.

"No, I think I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be," he responded.

All I saw after that was black, and I dropped to the floor.

Please vote and comment- S