Chapter 31

Alaya POV:

The next morning, I woke up with the worst headache. I checked my phone to see if Alex had responded to my text, but there had been no reply. Something didn't feel right because Alex usually answered my phone calls and texts. I wasn't in the mood to dress up, so I went with a casual outfit consisting of black high-waisted trousers, a brown cropped jumper, and sneakers. To disguise the bags that had grown under my eyes, I wore sunglasses. I threw my hair up in a messy bun and grabbed my backpack. I didn't feel like eating breakfast and walked out the door without saying goodbye to anyone.

My first day as an art student was meant to begin today. Rather, it appeared that nothing was going according to plan. Alex hadn't texted me, and my father was furious with me. When I arrived on campus, I headed straight to the west building. I went into the classroom and looked for Alex, but he was nowhere to be seen. Professor Green greeted me and introduced me to everyone. I sat down and pulled out my phone, checking to see whether Alex had contacted me.

Alaya: Alex, why haven't you texted me back? Is everything okay? I'm worried about you. Call me. x

I picked up my phone repeatedly to see whether Alex had texted, but there was no response. I texted Tori to see if she could meet me in the canteen when it was time for break. She happened to have a free period and agreed to meet me.

I stood in line for a coffee since I needed some energy. I opted for a flat white coffee.

When I saw Tori approaching, I hugged her and said, "Hi Tori, how are you?"

"I'm okay Alaya. How are you coping?", she inquired, her expression saddened.

"I'm not sure I follow? What exactly are you talking about?"  With a bewildered expression on my face, I inquired.

"You don't know do you? I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but Alex was attacked yesterday after closing the café, and he was taken to Heartland General Hospital."  She replied in a melancholy tone once more.

The coffee in my hand had hit the floor, splattering everywhere. I felt shards of hot coffee scold bits of my skin on my legs. I raced to the bus stop, hoping to catch the next bus to the hospital where Alex was being treated. Why would somebody want to hurt Alex? I had just spent the afternoon with him. That means whoever did this came after I had gone.

When I arrived at the hospital, I enquired at the front desk to find out which ward Alex had been admitted to.

''Excuse me. I'd like to know which ward my friend is on. Can you please help me?"  In a panicked tone, I requested.

"What's the patients name please?'', she asked, her face expressionless.

"Alex Scott"  I said quickly. It felt as if the lady at the desk was deliberately taking her time to irritate me.

"Date of birth please?" she further asked.

"I don't know what his birthdate is. I just found out that he was attacked and  was brought here yesterday! Could you please help me? I'm worried about him."   I was on the edge of sobbing as I pleaded.

"I'm sorry, but without the necessary details, I can't give you that information," she said coldly. What a bitch! This can't be happening. What am I supposed to do now!

Someone suddenly wrapped their arm around my shoulders and motioned for me to take a seat. By this time, I had a puddle of tears running down my cheeks. She handed me a cup of water before introducing herself.

"Hello, my name is Helena Miah and I am Alex's mother. You must be Alaya?" she asked, her voice kind and warm.

"Yes, I'm Alaya," I replied, brushing away my tears. "Is Alex all right? What happened to him? I'd appreciate it if you could take me to him." I begged.

"Alex is doing OK, Alaya. He'd been admitted to ward six on the third floor, but he's now being discharged, and he's sitting in a wheel chair near the elevators. See?" As she told me, she pointed to him.

Alex was seated in a wheel chair near the waiting area when I noticed him. Ignoring his mother, I dashed over to him and wrapped my arms around him. He encircled me with his arms and cradled me on his lap. I saw he was wearing a bandage on his head. He winced when I kissed his bandage.

"Ouch!" he exclaimed as he touched the area covered by his bandage.

"I'm sorry Alex. Did I hurt you?"  With my brows wrinkled, I asked in a remorseful tone, immediately regretting my action.

"I'm just playing with you. I could use a couple more of those kisses,"  he murmured, a cheeky grin on his face.

"This isn't a joke, Alex. You have no idea how worried I've been. I was thinking all sorts"  I attempted to explain, but my tears prevented me from doing so.

Alex wiped my tears away and hugged me once more.

"Alex, don't let go," I begged.

"I'm not going to let go, baby. Shhh... Don't cry, Alaya; I'm fine. It's only a scratch. The bandage makes it look more serious than it is"  He said, trying to make it seem as if it wasn't a big deal.

A cough drew my attention and caused me to look around. Alex's mother was standing nearby. I stood up because I was embarrassed that she had watched my interaction with her son.

"I'm so sorry Mrs Miah. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful; I was just worried about Alex...."   I was exhausted from trying to explain myself.

"It's all right, dear. It's good to see someone who cares about Alex as much as I do. He's lucky to have you."   With a warm smile, she said. "You wait here with Alex while I finish some paperwork, and then we'll be able to take Alex home." 

I responded with a nod.

I turned back to Alex, who extended his arms out to me, motioning me to hug him again. He looked so adorable. I sat back into his lap and circled my arms around him.

"By the way when is your birthday?" I asked him, my cheek resting on his chest. "The woman at the desk refused to tell me where you were unless I provided her your date of birth. It's a good thing your mum was there, or they would have had to call security on me because I wasn't leaving without seeing you!"

With a gentle chuckle, he responded "Alaya, don't go getting yourself arrested right now. What am I going to do if you end up in prison?"

"I'm being serious Alex, when's your birthday. I should know this about you!" I urged him for an answer.

"My birthday is on 20 May 2001. When's yours princess?" He inquired of me.

I whispered in his ear, "Mine is on September 18, 2002."

"What! But that's next week!" He squealed with delight. The patients in the waiting area heard him.

"Alex I know when my birthday is, you don't need to shout" I told him.

"Your birthdays on the second day of the art programme trip isn't it?" he enquired further.

"Yeah, so?'' I didn't care about my birthday, so I answered casually.

"No reason baby" he replied and he continued to hold on to me.

Hey Lovelies

Hope you liked this chapter. It's going to get real good in the next few. Please vote and comment-S