Chapter 22

Alaya felt uneasy and self-conscious as she stood there with the bag of food her mother had given her. She was expecting Alex to open the door, but she wasn't anticipating him to be half-dressed. He wasn't wearing a shirt, just a pair of joggers that hung low enough to show off his chiselled abs. Alaya immediately concealed her eyes behind her palm and and motioned for Alex to take the bag containing his soup away from her.

"Mum believes you're sick, even though I know you're not, so she prepared you chicken soup!" She said hastily, her eyes still shielded. "Would you mind putting a shirt on?" 

Alex hadn't realised he'd opened the door without his shirt on, so he quickly grabbed a nearby jacket. "Oh shit! I'm sorry. I didn't realise..."

Alaya had walked away after placing the food on the ground outside his front door. "Alaya... wait up... please," he begged as he struggled to zip his jacket.

Alaya came to a complete stop and turned around. She did this because she was desperate for an answer. "Alex, what is it? What exactly do you want from me? Wasn't it enough that you humiliated me earlier?" A sad frown formed on her face as she questioned him.

Alex became aware of the pain he had caused the girl who had captivated his heart. Alex didn't give any thought to his next move, instantly hugging her firmly. Alaya welcomed this as she wanted to be near Alex, any way she could. This guy, whom she had only just met a few days ago, had taken up residence in her heart. She was well aware of his impact on her and delighted in it. Her forehead was pressed on his chest. Being so close to him made her feel whole. After a few minutes of being in this posture Alex lifted her face but she didn't want to be separated and tried to hold on. When Alex saw Alaya holding back her tears, he kissed her on the forehead. Alaya revelled in the shockwaves that swept through her entire body, as if she were in a trance. Alex, also experiencing the heavenly sensation, couldn't help but gaze longingly at Alaya, making her flush.

"Why are you looking at me like that Alex?" Alaya softly asked as she spotted him staring at her.

"I just think you're so beautiful."   Alex replied, kissing her hand as he took it to his lips.

Alex and Alaya walked hand in hand back towards his flat. She was led into the living room by him. When Alaya looked around, she could tell it was a shabby version of a bachelor pad. A tatted green two-seater sofa was positioned in front of a 42-inch flat-screen television. To the side, there was a murky yellow armchair and a damaged coffee table stacked high with takeout boxes that needed to be thrown away. There were a couple photographs on the walls that weren't particularly desirable, but they could have been there before Alex moved there, as Alex had great taste Alaya thought. 

The place needed a good clean and a woman's touch. Alaya noticed Alex start to rub the back of his neck with his palm. She could tell he was feeling nervous and embarrassed about the state of his flat. Alaya sat down on the tatted sofa to make Alex feel at ease. 

''I'm sorry about the mess Alaya. We don't really have any visitors and take outs are our go to as we don't really know how to cook....'' he tried to explain.

''It's okay Alex. You don't need to explain. I understand'' Alaya remarked. 

Alex liked Alaya's ability to never pass judgement on him and always say the right thing. He sat close to Alaya and relaxed a little. They both felt uncomfortable when the room fell silent. Alex felt terrible and needed to make amends with Alaya, so he took her hands in his and held them tightly.

"Alaya, I am so sorry about what happened earlier. I didn't mean to cause you so much pain or to mislead you. The thing is...." Alex stopped talking because he was afraid that if he told Alaya his true feelings, she wouldn't like it. He only continued because he felt he owed her an explanation since he liked her so much and wanted to make sure she knew he respected her. "The thing is, I like you a lot. I have since day one and trust me I would have loved to have kissed you earlier, in fact, I'm struggling not to kiss you right now.''   When he said this, Alaya's face flushed and the little flutters in her tummy began to do somersaults. "I'd like to earn your respect, and I don't want to jeopardise our friendship if you don't feel the same way about me."

''So..... do.... you feel.... the same.....you know..... about me?''  he inquired nervously, his gaze fixed on Alaya's face to catch all expressions.

''Alex, I..... I..... really like you, too'' she answered, and Alex's face lit up with a huge grin. "But....'' Alex's grin vanished. "I'm not sure how we can grow our friendship into something more than that when our worlds are so different. I've never had feelings like this about anyone before, and I'm not sure what had gotten into me earlier. But I have to be realistic, and I'm fully aware that the chances of me and you being together are extremely slim."

"Why do you say that?" Alex asked, attempting to make his argument.

''Because I'm a Muslim, Alex. If I were to marry someone in the future, it would have to be a Muslim since I would like to marry someone who shares my beliefs. What I almost did with you earlier reflects badly on me. When you came to tutor the twins, you must have noticed how close we are as a family . Our religion is our way of life. You have seen yourself  we as a family pray together. My religion is very important to me, and being with you, a non-Muslim would put my faith to the test." Alaya tried to explain. 

''I don't understand. You're not hurting anybody if you choose to be with me".  Alex said in an attempt to persuade Alaya to change her mind.

"Because you're not a Muslim, you'll never understand that. Being a Muslim is not about carrying a label, but about living a certain way of life. I know you must hear all kinds of things about us on the news, but that is not true Islam. I can't sacrifice my faith for you. I'm sorry''.   Alaya remarked, while staring at both of their still intertwined hands.

Alex let go of Alaya's grip on his hands and lifted her face to meet his. "Don't you feel the butterflies, the yearning, the sparks within you?"

''I do Alex. But, it isn't enough. I want all of my firsts to be shared with the person I marry. I won't have that if I choose to be with you and whatever this is doesn't work out. It's pointless thinking this could be a thing''.  She pointed out while trying to make her case.

"Why do you keep thinking about this not working? I'm not sure why you won't simply give us a chance. We both really like each other. This is the first time I've ever felt this way about someone. When I see you, my heart melts. Just looking at you makes me forget what I'm supposed to do, who I am, and what I'm supposed to say. Don't you realise I'm not here to play games or have a bit of fun. I want you, all of you. You and your religion if you'll have me. If I have to follow specific rules so be it. But please... please give us a chance. We could be so happy together "  He expressed his emotions so that Alaya would take him seriously.

"What about my parents?" Alaya probed further. ''They've always pictured me with a well-educated, successful  and well paid Pakistani man. They'd never accept you."

''Well, now you're making fun of me. I may not be Pakistani but I'm well-educated. Once I graduate I will be able to get a well paid job and fingers crossed I'll be successful. Didn't you say yesterday that I was on my way to becoming the family's favourite?"   He questioned Alaya by swiping his brows up and down. " Your mum made soup for me because she thought I was sick. Even the twins are fond of me. I mean, I believe I've already gained access to the Khans' hearts.  It's just one Khan in particular who is being stubborn."  He yanked Alaya's shoulder to emphasize that she was being stubborn for no reason.

"Alex, I'm terrified. All of this talk is making me nervous. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say or do"  she replied, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Hey.... hey...." he whispered softly, cupping both sides of Alaya's face in an attempt to reassure her.

"You don't have to make a decision right now. I'm not going anywhere. I'll wait for you for as long as it takes. And only when you're ready, okay?''   he muttered softly, to which Alaya replied with a nod.

Hey Lovelies,

A bit of a long chapter then my normal but I really felt that they both needed to express themselves. Hopefully you can see how pure their love is. Please vote and comment if you have any suggestions on where you would like the story to go- S

P.S Dedicating this chapter to my lovely friend Shel. x 💖